Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you need and how do you set up dual batteries? And another Voltage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sublmnl1990, Nov 30, 2004.

1. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

I would like to run dual batteries on my sub. What do you need to do this? Does someone make a kit or is it easier to get the stuff seperately? Does anyone have an extra drivers side battery tray around?

What else is involved with the voltage of the truck? I have put in a new battery and altenator and have had them check, but at night with all the lights on (just factory, nothing extra) the voltage will drop to like 11 or 10 when I step on the brakes, same thing with windowsand the heat, and you can forget about running the air it will drop down to 9. It always starts fine, got to start it up to put windows up, but there must be something else thats causing this drain or lack of voltage, when I start it up during the day with nada runnuing it sits right where it is suppose too. Have also changed the factory voltmeter.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifThanks Nick

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i bought the dual batt. kit from painless, works great /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif, also the dealership sells the stock replacement batt. tray fro 60 bucks for the other side, but you can make your own

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

what amp alternator did you use ? A P.O. had installed the cheaper 75a unit in my 87. I had the same problems you are describing. When it finally went bad, the store guy asked me if I wanted to keep the 75a or get the 94a (I think it's 94...in the 90's anyway). I asked him if it would hurt to use the 94a and he said no.

It cured my problems with voltage drop. It wil still drop a tad with the windows, but not as much.

Looked at my RPO codes on the glovebox, and lo & behold, my K5 came stock with the 94a anyway. Dude just took the cheap way out on the last one.

4. sublmnl1990

I just asked for what it called for maybe I will check on this again I thought it was 80 but it has been a while (no I am not calling you a has been). Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

whats the rpo code for a 94A alt.?

6. sublmnl1990

no clue here, when I get home from work I will see what I can find out about what I got now. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Re: What do you need and how do you set up dual batteries? And another Volt

[ QUOTE ]
    whats the rpo code for a 94A alt.?

[/ QUOTE ]

K22

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you testing th system with a charging system testor or just looking at the guage? My factory guage is off by 1 volt. A stock 78 amper or even the 63 amper should be enough to keep up with your lights, Air, radio, and ignition and still have 13 volts.

As for dual batteries. All you need is a way to mount in the second battery and wire it up. I would run the hot across the radiator support to the main battery. some people like isolators but I don't think they are neccessary. My dodge cummins doesn't have one and neither do any of our commercial trucks that have 4 batteries. Besides, if both batteries are new at the same time, same brand, and one goes bad it's probably time for 2 new ones anyway. Also it is pretty easy to figure out which battery is bad, especially with only 2. It can be a PITA on the trucks that have 4. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Re: What do you need and how do you set up dual batteries? And another Volt

that list says only up to 87 will it be the same for my 89
    oh and sorry for, the hijack /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

For what you'e talking about, all you need is a tray and cables. The batteries just get wired together in parallel. This is how the 6.2L trucks were set up.

If your voltage is really dropping, then your alternator is not keeping up. I solved that problem by installing a 2nd alternator, but a single higher-output unit would also work as mentioned above. If it really drops down to 9 in a short period, like at a stoplight, then the battery is probably bad.

Double check the voltages instead of trusting the dash gauge. Are the headlights dimming a lot? You could have a bad ground that gives voltage drop or throws off the gauge.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Sometimes the battery itself can be causing the voltage drop. If its dead and stealing all your output current your alternator will have a hard time keeping up. This is kind of a degenerating scenario. It will go this way for a while till the batt gets bad enough that it won't start anymore or will start very slowly. One simple way to test this is to start the engine and let it idle, while running remove the positive cable from the battery (make sure your alternator is still wired to the system and not the batt). You should be able to run your lights and everything with the battery disconnected with little to no voltage drop. If it does drop significantly then it is the alternator.

12. sublmnl1990

It was tested at idle at the battery with one of those machines at a auto parts store and showed it was charging the thing with the volt meter you can feel the truck run rough when the voltage drops way down. It has been doing this since I bought the truck over 4 years ago and right after I got it I switched out the battery and alt. it never stopped doing this so about a month later I told the place I bought it from that it wasn't charging and they gave me a new one but it didnt make any difference. Then about a year ago I replaced it again and it still didnt make a difference so I pulled it and took it back. I have changed out the belt tensioner and the belt replaced the battery cables moved the groung. By the way if you dont know this the ground going to the intake manafold was a GM recall for a 1990 suburban and I am sure it was for other models too. So I have tried a lot of stuff but haven't hit it yet, I will check out and see what amp alt I have and see if I cant get a better one. Thanks for all the help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You need to check the alt. output as far as the voltage reading low.

Dual batteries, lets see. You will need a constant duty sol. and a 3 position 3 pole switch(on off momentary) This set up is better than an isolator and WAY better than hard wiring. You will be able to positivaly shut the batteries off from one another and jump start yourself from the cab. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You want to know how to wire it just let me know.

14. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

So how would you wire it up????

15. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

The best isolating solenoid i have found is the OEM one from 88-present GM trucks. Had one on my 97 K1500, my 01 2500HD has one and I put one in my K5. Good durable factory part and pretty inexpensive. (sorry I can't remeber the part #). All u have to do to wire is ground both batts and install the solenoid on the positive cable between the 2 batts. One small gauge wire, hot in run and start, goes to the blade terminal one the solenoid to trigger it. From there you can get fancy w/ how and when you trigger the solenoid but that's up 2 you. Everyone will argue all day about whether it's needed or not, but for the low cost (I thin less than 50 bucks) and ease of install (one small wire from ign hot and a splice into the bat cable) it's worth piece of mind. And it can't hurt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. sublmnl1990

[ QUOTE ]
    All u have to do to wire is ground both batts and install the solenoid on the positive cable between the 2 batts. One small gauge wire, hot in run and start, goes to the blade terminal one the solenoid to trigger it. From there you can get fancy w/ how and when you trigger the solenoid but that's up 2 you. Everyone will argue all day about whether it's needed or not, but for the low cost (I thin less than 50 bucks) and ease of install (one small wire from ign hot and a splice into the bat cable) it's worth piece of mind. And it can't hurt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    can you translate this into english for me? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif This electrcal stuff /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif my mind.

17. rjfguitar

If you want to make it simple and like how the factory does it all you have to do is get a second tray and mount it and the battery in on the driver side, run the hot cable across the radiator support to your main battery and connect the ground the engine or frame. This is the way I am going to do it in a couple of days and I honestly don't see the need for an isolator, in dash switch, yada yada unless you want it to be really fancy for some reason. I want full power from both batteries all the time and if one goes bad I will just replace both because I'm getting two of the same brand and size batteries at the same time. Besides, it is very simple to figure out which one is the bad one anyway if the option of changing both isn't chosen.

18. sublmnl1990

Thanks for breaking it down for me and not busting on me like the other post! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

19. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not sure what your plans are for the Suburban in the future but here is what I plan on running due to I have a 12000lb winch mounted upfront. Kind of pricey to start off with but will give me a piece of mind. Not sure if this would be something you would want to use since the explanation of your problems. I had the same problems with my 79 Jimmy and then I upgraded to a larger alternator than the stock one and my problems were gone.

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for breaking it down for me and not busting on me like the other post! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    1. No prob.

2. If you thought I busted on you then... you haven't seen anything yet.

3.Thanks for not talking completely off topic about people's moms. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif