Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you put on the top so you can paint it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jul 9, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

My top is really porous (sp) and in need of something to fill it before I paint it. What am I supposed to use?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

i did mine with epoxy resin, i worked in a boat yard so it was handy, coated it once sanded it and went back with another coat sanded and painted after that

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Multiple cans of spraypaint. At first I didn't think it would do the trick but it turned out pretty nice.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

mikey, you got any pics of how your top came out? mine is faded and i want something that will be easy to touch up

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ummm...not up close. Imagine a krylon gloss black finish with your fiberglass top's texture and you've got it. If you don't do anything to it beforehand though be prepared to put three or four full coats on it before the paint stops soaking in. I would go out and take a picture for you, but the truck is up on a trailer now so it's forkin high off the ground.

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

Do I need to go to a boat shop for that or maby just a checker or any paint shop??? Thanks

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I sanded mine down smooth with an electric sander then wet sanded it, primed, wet sanded again and then painted. Turned out real nice.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i would just DA it down with some 80 to 180, denature it, load it with epoxy prime, sand and paint... just load the primer up and it will fill the porosity pinholes.. unless your actually seeing hairs before or after sanding i wouldn't bother with an epoxy or polyester resin...

or ya could just scuff it and roll something on... ;)

9. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I gotta agree, sand followed by a good high build primer should do-er

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"Feather Fill"

We sold some 2 part stuff called "Feather Fill"(*made by "MORTON") at the body shop supply stores I worked at--it had a hardener,the clear stuff like fiberglass resin uses...This stuff is like a thin sprayable bondo,it fills all the holes and cracks in a metal or fiberglass body and it looks like an eggshell colored coating thats very smooth when it dries..its a bear to clean out of the spray gun though..might want to use a cheap gun,or your least favorite for this chore...sanding the "bumps" off works,but most factory hardtops are on the thin side as it is..most of the tops I've seen sanded smooth cracked easily--but then,so did the bumpy ones.. :doah:

11. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

A paint shop should have it but this is one of the few things that is cheap at a boat shop, i did mine that way because we had it in 55 gallon drums so it was available.....looking at some other posts mine was showing "fibers"... bare glass, so it was time to build it back up, i am very happy with the way it turned out

12. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

I used a flexible primer from the local piant shop. It's supposed to the same thing that they use for boats. It seems to have worked great so far. All you need is a pint of that stuff and it dries up quick.