Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you sand your axls with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 7, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i want to repaint my axls..what do you guys use to sand down your axls to get some of that rust and crap of them? and i live in rochester by the way...so i have the worst of it! lol...i was thinking just sanding them down best i could and spraying them with some black spray paint...

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've used a rotary wire brush and a drill to do it before. It takes a long time, but it does a good job. Be SURE to wear eye protection!!!! Sometimes the bristles will fly out of the wire brush. I've had them stick in my arm, so I don't even want to think about what they would do to an eye. I have a full-face shield that I wear when doing stuff like that. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i just did mine with a wire wheel on my grinder

4. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I just finished off my 14 bolt junkyard special with a big wire brush. It took a while, but not nearly as long as sanding would. I was thinking about using a sandblaster, but didn't know if I'd screw up the seals, etc... I'll be cleaning them up a little more and painting them with black epoxy.
    P.S. if you do this while it's still attached to the truck, wear good eye protection. sounds like a nobrainer, but I spent a while at the doctor's getting rusted metal out of my eye a few weeks ago after using a wire wheel under the front axle.That's one of those times when you say to yourself "I knew that was going to happen, so why the h*** did I do it?"

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I had them sand blasted. Cost me $20 an axle. The guy would have done them while they were still under the truck too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I used some strong paint remover before. This will soften all old grease and crud that's stuck in there.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A 4" grinder with one of those braided wire brushes. It helps to have both the cup style and the radial style brushes. You will go through one quality cup style wire brush on a set of really rusty axles. Mine came out great though. Took maybe an hour per axle to do a really good job.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I use Easy Off oven cleaner. Let the part or axle sit in the sun and get good and warm then soaking with a generous amount of oven cleaner, after about 20 minutes spray it off and it will usually cut all the way to shining bare metal.

9. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I scrape them with ROCKS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Sandblaster. I borrowed a small blaster from a friend and only had to purchase the sand. The sandblaster can reach places the brushes never will.

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

and there was no problem when they hit the brakes, likes, etc.when sandblasting?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

sandblast it, then you'll have time to do other things.
    McMaster-Carr part #31195K11 for $55.00 bucks (562)692-5911 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I've done 4 complete diffs, 2 front and 2 rear. Did them with a 4" angle grinder and twisted wire cup wheel and 80 grit strip type sand paper. When done all were painted with POR15. A year later no rust on the set I still have, and I too live in salty New York. I'd use a sandblaster if I had a bigger compressor.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow like no rust biuld up or nothin!?? easy to clean..? if thats true i might go for that...i want to try to keep my drive train pretty clean as much as i can hear...

15. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

yeah, I'm with Moneypit on this one. I sanded my frame and my axles with rocks, dirt, branches, rocks, etc.

16. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The guy who did mine was a surgeon with the sandblaster. A real quality place will have different size tips and be able to avoid blasting things you want left alone. He was also able to blast inside the tubes (they were bare housings when I took them in).

1 thing I would do differently, I wouldnt do inside the tubes or in the diff its self. It was TOO hard to get all of the sand out. I ended up renting a pressure washer to get it all cleaned out, but its good as new now...actually even better since it has 4.88's and a detroit!

17. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I had mine sandblasted, then sanded them down with 80, 200, 400, and 800 grit sand paper. After that, I took them and had them chromed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Make sure you get every piece of dirt and rust off before it goes to the chromer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Truthfully, I sand blasted them. Took longer to get the blaster hooked up than it did blast them. Then I shot them several times with primer and several more times with black paint. The only reason I bothered was my axles were about 1/2 burried in a field when I got them. Black axles look cool under a black truck when you're cruising the mall at Denver West to pick up the 12 year old hotties. "I swear officer she had a huge vocabulary for a 12 year old."

18. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

So how do you get the top?

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Black axles look cool under a black truck when you're cruising the mall at Denver West to pick up the 12 year old hotties. "I swear officer she had a huge vocabulary for a 12 year old."

[/ QUOTE ]

that is wrong on SOOOOO many levels /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i swear you come up with some off the wall stuff. crazy texan i swear. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif later.

jacob