Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you store your part's in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 20, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

What do you store your part\'s in?

I carry all fluids,tool's,and a tow chain in the cargo area of my K5. I currently have a plastic bin that I keep all that stuff in.. I want to get a metal bin with locking lid (if possible) and mount it to the floor in the same location. What does everyone use to store their stuff in?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: What do you store your part\'s in?

I'm lookin for the same thing, I was just going to get a chest tool box but someone suggested an army surpluss store for a big locking box, I guess they're about 15x 15 x36...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Military ammo cans. I have 1 20mm Cannon ammo can, 1 Dutch missile can, and 2 .50cal cans in my truck. My 20mm can has a hasp and chain hinges to lock it. I am going to fab up some type of system to keep my cans from being opened, and from flying around should I ever roll. Probably run a long cable threw the handles of the cans, and lock one end to the tire carrier, and the other to a mount I will install later.

My cans house my trail tool kits, parts, tow straps, snatch straps, electrical crap, and other misc. stuff.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mines going to be a box about 6 or 8" tall right behind the seat all the way to the gate. with a locking lid.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm going to be making a box outta plywood to store it all in. It'll go from the tailgate to the back of the rear seat. And be about a foot high. I will make it so it attaches to the floor but with padlocks so I can undo it if I need to remove it. It'll have a drawer on rollers so I can pull it out. That drawer will lock itself. I'll paint it with the duplicolor stuff since I have it and it sticks nice to wood that is not exposed to the direct elements.... I'm also going to be mounting on the tailgate something so I can attach a chain/padlock to it so it cannot be opened without a key or someone really working hard to get it loose. That'll keep the drawer from being slid out so easy. I figure most crooks won't screw with your stuff if they have to take time, make noise and use effort to get it.... leaves too much for them to be exposed....

6. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

7. UseYourBlinker

Thanks for the link... So far I like that one the best!

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Right now I have this pull out drawer I made out of wood and HomeDepot slide rails<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup56/aam>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup56/aam</a>
    I like the amount of crap I can carry BUT if I can't get the tailgate open I'm screwed!! I am thinking of yanking this thing out and going with a few amo cans/rocket boxes??? I need my stuff to be secured to the rig so incase of rollover the crap won't go everywere and possiably hurt me or a passenger!
    Good Luck

9. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Eric,

So far I only have one plastic toolbox and one ammo can for carrying supplies. I'm too new to offroading to give "experienced advice" but I will share two things I learned the hard way already:

#1 - Bungee cords do not hold the boxes in place! If you're going anyplace bouncy....get some real straps and fab up some tie-downs on the floor area to secure them. Otherwise, they'll be flying everywhere!

#2 - Don't pack fluids in the same box as tools....even if there's enough room. Shortly after learning about "Issue #1", I opened my toolbox to discover about 1" of gear oil &amp; Simple Green mixed together and sloshing around in the bottom of my toolbox and all over my tools. When I got home....I had the tedious chore of individually cleaning all my sockets, wrenches, etc and I still need to go buy more gear oil, and simple green to replace what was ruined! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

"...still getting my offroading experiences THE HARD WAY!..." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. UseYourBlinker

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=478864&amp;prmenbr=6970>I like this one</a>

12. UseYourBlinker

Good point's Greg... Hey I met with Scott (4x4HIGH) about 2 week's ago. I go and BS with him about once a week /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif That last time I went over their he said I just missed ya.

13. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I have a 3 Missile Shell Metal Box with 2 latches to hold the lid down. The only thing is, they get Hella Heavy before you know it.
    A good place to get them Cheep. is at the Good Guys Swap meet. this weekend is when its being held. There is a guy that gets stuff at surplus prices. I got my box for 5 bucks. He is located at the Back fence. He wheels and deals so you may get one for real cheep... Hope this helps.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is very similar to the rocket can I have in the back of my truck. I just bought it about 2 weeks ago. It is really nice, and has a fair amount of room for stuff. Mine is a Dutch military box, and I paid $25 for mine.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u might try some big ammo cans like I have in the back of my jimmy. (see web shots). They are easy to make lockable... easy to bolt to the bed... and water proof! Whats more, if u go to a gun show, u can get them pretty cheap ($20-30)... compare that with a tuffy console! lol,

J

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ammo cans here

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/C... can get it home to the real tools. Nathan

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/Home>/forums/images/icons/smile.gif</a>

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

20. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Re: That place has NEW K5 tanks for $25!

I would think they are the same just make sure the semdimg unit will fit right. might call colemans and ask them.

nathan