Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think about Jensen?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Blazer79, Feb 18, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My Blazer currently has no stereo. I'm starting to build one. I just bought a <font color=blue>Jensen XA6040Lx</font color=blue> 6 channel 600W amp. Each pair of the 6 channels can be bridged. I'm planning on using it in a 4x75W 1x150w configuration.

What do you guys think about Jensen? Is it a good brand? Do you think this amp was a good choice? I decided on it because I got it for $90.00 (new not refurbished). Do you think it's a good deal?

The only other component I have purchased is a a JBL GT1000 10" subwoofer (260w RMS). Are these two components a good match? What speakers would you recommend for the other four?

And finally, what head would you recommend? I'd like to have a cassette/radio with a CD-changer box. Do I necessarily have to get a head with no amp with three pairs of outputs for the Jensen amp (FL, FR, RL, RR, SUBL, SUBR)?

There's a picture of the amp in the attachment.

Thanks guys.

<font color=red>////////
    BLAZER79</font color=red>

2. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I've been heavily into car audio for a few years now and I've had most every brand you could think of(and probably some you couldn't). Jensen is typically overrated. That is, if it says it will put out 600 watts, it will probably put out 300. You should probably run more power to that sub than that amp can give out but if all you want is something to sound better than stock, I say do it up. If you want something that'll bump pretty decent, you'll need to get a better amp. I would personally get a component set for the front mids and highs, some 6x9's or something for the back and run them off of the Jensen. Then I'd get a higher power amp for the sub. As for the head unit, there are many good brands out there. I personally like the higher end Pioneer's myself. All you need is a set of RCA jacks on the back of the head unit to run to the amp. Hope you don't think I'm flaming you for buying a Jensen amp because I used them when I first got into car audio and really liked them until I bought some better stuff. It's just like anything else, you get what you pay for. One thing I can say for the Jensen amps I've owned in the past is that they have held up well and lasted quite a while. Just my .02 I hope this helps you.

See my system at www.sounddomain.com/5518

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

3. chad

chad Registered Member

Jensen amps don't take a whole lot of beating. Had a friend blow one in his car in a week. It will work ok if you don't push it too much. If you really want a hell of an amp go with something like an MTX, more expensive, but worth it, matches great with the MTX line of woofers too.

Chad

4. Robert

Robert Registered Member

Pagosa Springs and Colorado Springs Colorado
    I have to agree with the other guys, Jensen is crap. Try Alpine Amps and Pioneer head head unit. I have both wired up to two JL Audio 12" W3's subs and four other speakers and it rocks the block.

5. chad

chad Registered Member

Alpine is just a big name and isn't worth the money you spend on it, you can get just as good as stuff if not better for less.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

6. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

If you dont pay atleast a dollar a watt then the amp isnt worth it. I personally use earthquake and have for a while, I have place high in most of the competitions in my area for the last three years with earthquake and it is a brand not many people know about and they are blown away when they see what it can do.

Adam

7. chad

chad Registered Member

I'd like to know who got it in your head that you have to pay at least a dollar a watt for the amp to be good. I sold a guy a 400 watt amp for 150 new and it takes anything he can put it up to. Just because something cost more doesn't mean it does more.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad

8. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I have to kind've agree with the dollar an watt rule. It doesn't always apply but if you go buy one of those lower end amps that say they put out like 1600 watts for $200 or something like that, it won't do 1600 watts. With most amps, you get what you pay for. The lower line companies(Pyramid, Jensen, etc.) almost always overrate their amps heavily. My Kicker ZR240's are rated at 240 watts RMS at 4ohms bridged but they put out a ton more than that. But those amps cost me almost $400 a piece. With the cheaper amps it is the other way around. They usually put out about half of what they say they do. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Now I believe you!!!

I know I should have asked you guys before I bought it, but now it's too late. [​IMG]

First of all, they call it a 6-channel, but it has only four!! Is it even legal to label an amp this way? I called their tech-line, and the guy said it IS a 6-channel because you can plug two speakers to a speaker outlet. In that case, why didn't they call it an 8-channel all the way!? Is it common for amp manufacturers to do this trick?

I wanted to use it as a 5-channel setup, so the tech-support guy suggested not using the internal low-pass crossover and tap the subwoofer to one of the four full-range speakers, and then add an external crossover to the sub alone. What a big dissapointment!

What I'm gonna do is run it 3-channel: 1 sub 2 rears. Then I'll run the front speakers from the head unit's amp (when I buy it). What do you guys think about this setup?

<font color=red>////////
    BLAZER79</font color=red>

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm from AZ. so my favorites are AZ based companies like PPI, Rockford, & Orion and have owned a number of others (Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, MTX, exc.). Plan that you're paying a dollor a watt of true power. The best advice I was given by the owner of Orion was that each peice of a stereo is only as good as the other pieces are, what I mean is if you get any part that is just OK than the system is OK even if the rest of it is great!
    Good luck!!!
    [​IMG]

C'moe

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Might want to check out ESX and Crossfire too. ESX has some powerhouse amps that put out alot more than they're rated at. You can get a killer 4 channel for $450, can't remember the rating though. Mike would know. Ok here's a shameless plug. 806-748-loud, #1 in DBdrag in the world. He's a real good buddy of mine and is a good dealer to everybody. Operates out of a small shop with low overhead so his prices are good. But he'll talk with ya anyways and he'll let ya pick his brain a little if you want. Tell him Bryan sent ya[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

12. KGBLAZER83

KGBLAZER83 Registered Member

well i love all the diversity. i had a really nice system,sony cd player, all infinity speakers and fosgate amps and a really nice bazooka 8 inch.unfortunatly they sound pretty good in someones elses car because they wound up missing one day last week soooooo, i went to SEARS i know why? they were having a sale . any way i got a really top of the line jensen cd player and some sony xplode 6 inch for the front and i have some omptimus{radio shack] 6 X 9 in the rear. the amp is again a rockford fosgate punch 75. the jensen is one of the best i have had easy to use good sounds and really good price. so i really feel jensen works good for me

blaze on!!!!!

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Jensen sucks. Alpine amps are crap. Alpine decks are nice and completely worth the money. If you don't believe me, just ask somebody about the Alpine model 7909.

14. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

CRAP.!!!!!!!!see ,it says 600...but at what distortion and sygnal to noise ratio.....????...it's ok..if you keep it down...but when you crank it ..it is prone to "clip " that's when the amp sends straigh direrct current to your speakers...they wiil blow even if they our rated at more power then yopu give them....distortion blows speakers!!!Good price ...just dont over drive it!!!!!

15. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Jensen isn't bad, but for a little more you can buy stuff that is much better, and underrated at that. Jensen is rated at 14.4V, while some other companies rate at 12.5V(such as MTX, who not only rates at 12.5V, but also at 14.4V, plus gives a birth sheet, like others). They're not bad amps to start with, if you catch the bug you will move onto bigger and better things. Also, don't hesitate to try looking for stuff online. You can go to http://www.sounddomain.com or http://www.termpro.com there are many trustworthy people on those boards(of course there are a few cons too, even the infamous Travis Miller, who was apparently caught finally). I have purchased an EQ, two component sets, and three amps off of SoundDomain users, all items in stated condition, working perfectly, and at a great price. You can view my page at http://www.sounddomain.com/18534 I am currently in search of a K5 for myself, preferably an 89.

16. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into those sites.

What do you mean they are rated 14.4V? Does it mean the Blazer should supply 14.4 volts to the amp? I think mine's around 13V.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

17. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Rated at 14.4V simply means that the amp puts out that much power when the electrical system is providing 14.4V to the amp(which you probably won't see). 12.5V is a more realistic rating for competition, the bass drains power, and a cap will not help on long bass notes, so you will be closer to 12.5V than 14.4V in those situations. But for your use it will be fine.

18. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think jensen sucks.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

19. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

Just a thought. You're all trying to get home stereo sound right ? I built a speaker holding box. I have storage below and behind the speakers. I strapped 2 custom made home style speakers down to it. I get perfect bass porting, etc, etc. I have the added benny of being able to remove them from the truck, plop them on the roof or ground or whatever for parties. All Alpine deck and amps, Pyle Drivers..pick your own..won't damn anything, but lotsa junk mentioned here. LOVE MINE !!!

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

20. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Jensen amps blow...
    you get what you pay for