Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think about Rockstomper Beadlocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I want a set of beadlocks on my K5. Thebigdaddyof2 proved to me we need them offroad by rolling his tire off the bead on a nasty trail at Disney. Luckily he had onboard air! Anyway, Todd and I have discussed this numerous times, but I would like you guy's opinion on the Rockstomper Beadlock system. Do you think the outer lip would cut a tire since it is not curved? I guess I could always form a curve on it. What about welding on the ring, how will I know I get the ring perfectly centered? Will it matter on street driven K5 weighing 6000 pounds? What about how the tire centers on the rim - I guess it centers on the bolts. Is this okay? Lastly, could rocks and dirt get into the bead surface and cause problems because of the gap in between the two metal rings? Go to www.rockstomper.com and check out their beadlocks. Just curious - give me your thoughts.

I know what Fox is going to say "What about Trail Ready?" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks,

Neil

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

great, now you got me thinking about beadlocking my 16" rims.
    the only down side I see is the added wieght

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I think the rockstompers are good way to go, especially for the do-it-yourselfers. I haven't had any experience with them, but they look heavy duty. Not to mention they are cheaper than just about anything else out there. Here's a review of the beadlocks. I also wonder what the overall weight would be with the rings and wheel vs some of the other beadlocks. Why don't you try a set out for us Neil? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I also think trailready's are a good beadlock, only cause I own a set /forums/images/icons/cool.gif They have held up really well. The rings take abuse, they hold air, and I haven't had any problems with loose bolts.

BIGJ

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have looked into alot of different beadlocks and have pretty much decided on the Rockstompers. Judging by the rave reviews that they have been getting on POR, I have to assume that they are the best beadlocks out there for non high speed 4x4 applications. I'll go through your questions and relate what info I can off the top of my head. </font color>

Do you think the outer lip would cut a tire since it is not curved? <font color="green"> I haven't heard anything about this, the edge is not sharp, it has a bit of a chamfer on it. If you are concerned about it though, it would be very easy to round out the edge. </font color>

I guess I could always form a curve on it. What about welding on the ring, how will I know I get the ring perfectly centered?
    <font color="green"> According to Rockstomper the ring is exactly the same diameter as the outside edge of the lip on a wheel. The outside diameter of the lip apparantly has a DOT specification, so all wheels should be the same. </font color>

Will it matter on street driven K5 weighing 6000 pounds? What about how the tire centers on the rim - I guess it centers on the bolts. Is this okay?
    <font color="green">Actually the Rockstompers center on the shoulder of the tire. the outer edge of the lock ring centers itself on the shoulder of the tire as you bolt it down. Apparantly not quite as elegant as TRs or Allieds, but it does get the job done according to the information that I've found. </font color>

Lastly, could rocks and dirt get into the bead surface and cause problems because of the gap in between the two metal rings?
    <font color="green"> When everything is bolted down there is bno way that anything should get between the bead and the lockring. Pretty much all beadlocks have a gap here, although Rockstomper's have a slightly larger gap due to the lack of an internal centering ridge.

I plan on using Equal to balance mine, I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with one of thier tech people and he said that they have been selling alot fo Equal to people running beadlocks lately, and they have been having very good luck with it.

If you haven't already, do a search on POR for Rockstomper beadlocks, there is a lot of info to be found about them over there, they are easily the most highly regarded locks on that BBS.

Other locks that I considered and the reasons I am not going with them -
    Allieds - rings are a little thin for my tastes, but they are my second choice.
    Eatons - not enough bolts, rings are too thin.
    Stockton Wheel - well, by all accounts you'd be better off just shooting yourself in the ehad and saving yourself the frustration.
    Trail Readys - Personally I don't like the huge "Hey look at me, I have beadlocks!" rings on them. I hear they work great, but the giant anodized rings are a little disco for me. I wish they offered a simple steel ring.</font color>

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have had tree parts forced in between the tire and rim so anything is possible

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well yes, anything IS possible, but under normal circumstances nothing should get in there. Thanks for the correction. </font color>

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I just called Rockstomper and they told me the price. They ask $120 for the mudrings (Evan's favorite - just kidding man!) with countersunk bolts. I think the countersunk is the only way to go when it comes to these beadlocks. I will check the reviews and think about it. I have a good buddy with a plasma cutter table and I know AutoCAD so, I could design my own and have them flame cut. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

If I later go 1 ton and 8 lugs, I will sell these and buy TR from Mr. Fox.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I currently have two tires with chunks of tree stuck between the bead and the rim...pretty common for this area though.

Rene

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Must be a BC thing, eh? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

not bad,
    it has been several minutes and no one has told us to stop driving on trees

11. Billavista

Billavista Registered Member

Hi guys.

The article on POR is mine, here is an updated version with some more thoughts:
    Beadlocks

In short...REALLY REALLY happy - I have out them through hell and back:
    leaks: 0
    broken bolts: 0
    Loose bolts 0
    Complaints: 0

Great product, IMHO.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, as I have made 2 sets now and have a few miles on them.

Only thing I can;t reallt attest to is the daily driven aspect - tho I don't daily drive, in my case - no effect is noticable as the 36" Bias Swampers more than mask any other issue (IF there are any)

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">A guy who wheels where I go had a set of Bart beadlocks and when he went 8 lug he got a set of wheels from Rockstomper with the beadlocks on them. I saw him drag them over a boulder with a flat tire and they didnt damage the tire at all.

Oh yeah. stop driving on trees /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

(Canadians.... [​IMG])

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

on your coning/bolt alignment issue.
    wouldnt the soultion be a semi-sperical depression in the ring and a semi-sperical convex washer or bolt head.
    that would compensate for angles but as no one has stepped up to claim the coning has caused them grief an unnecessary addition

14. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i got a set for my 16.5 eaton wheels.they come so they are the exact outside dimension of your wheel.lining them up is not a problem.welding them is a bit more of a challenge.my friend's dad is a welder by trade and it took him about 3 hours to get them leak free.he had some kind of white powder you spray on the weld and them spray this red dye on the inside of the weld.the dye is supposed to go through holes air cant get through.the worst part was starting and stopping a bead that's were most the leaks came from.i would definitly try and get some of this leak testing stuff should save you alot of time in the long run.i think he got it at a welding supply store.after they were mounted up i have had no leaks,and it's been 2 months sense i've mounted them.(10psi)on the trail i have had no troubles going down to 8 psi.only b!tch i got was torquing 128 bolts one by one.but it's a small price to pay!here's the link to my page if you want to check them out.

http://community.webshots.com/user/efilnikufecin

15. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

mine coned a bit but have not had any problems because of this.just got to make sure there torqued to spec after every couple of trips wheelin.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

nice truck

17. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

coning was a huge problem on my stockton wheel locks...i was breakin bolt heads off like crazy...my record was 10 in one day...and 6 on one wheel which caused me to loose a tire on the freewayi ended up having to replace all the rings and put washers inbetween the ring and the lip on the rim and then tighten the hell out of em...not neer as many broken bolts now...i am down to one about every 3 or 4 days right now...but i am gettin ready to swap out the rings again because 3 of em are crackin really bad around all the bolt holes...the rings were defective so got a new set for free..but what a pain in the ass job to replace em all /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I rolled 2 beads off at Attica....
    If coning is an issue, why not install some sort of spacers? Anyone see any problems with this?

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

wow that sounds like a major PITA for a fairly high dollar accessory

20. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

is that 120 for the set? that is really cheaper than i thought if so

Later