Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think about the job layoffs in NOLA?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Oct 5, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is a continuation of another thread that was getting off track.

As you may have read, NOLA is laying off 3000 non-essential employees. This will save a lot of money that the city does not have. It includes bus drivers (no joke here), clerks for departments that will not be running for months and other support staff.

My personal take is that people in the priviate sector have lost their jobs and no one is crying (much). While I feel sorry for the city workers, they are currently being paid to not work. That's government for you.

Opinions??

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it's the logical thing to do. I'm sorry but when you're not working and not on vacation do you really expect to get paid? The local government is undoubtedly losing their @$$ the way it is without having to pay their employees for services not rendered.

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I hate to see anyone suffer, but that's why things like this are called disasters.

I think NOLA did the right thing here, which is shocking in itself.

Tom

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree that the city can no longer afford to pay these people but they could always hire them to do other things that are needed and how much fed money is being given to NO to run right now anyway

5. cbbr

That is part of the problem. 1) there is nothing for them to do, really, right now except for cleanup and construction jobs which are all contrated out and for which precious few have applied (manual work vs. sitting at a desk) and 2) the federal (FEMA) money can only be used to pay overtime which people that are doing nothing at all cannot possibly have.

I think that a bigger problem is the cities finances were always hanging by a thread. The economy, in my life, has never been good in NOLA. It has not grown in 25 years and the politicians have not been interested in change.

I don't think that Katrina necessarily caused all of the problem, just brought it to a head and made it very, very obvious. Of course you will not hear that reported.

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yea it sounds like most of downtown was, is a welfare state anyway. My wife was there 17 yrs ago and was afraid to go downtown then.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I think that that they have to do it. But, I also think it is calculated to whip the press and the liberals into another frenzy of wanting more money spent on rebuilding N.O. and keeping all of them employed.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

****em. That ****hole needs to be abandoned. Any other alternative is stupid. Damn I have a cold heart and boy does it feel good.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

After the huricane and you see that all is lost i think i would of started seking employeement elsewhere. Not to mention that I would look for a place to live above sea level. A friend of mine has a son that works a curcuit city. His son came home and told him that a guy was in thier buying a car stereo system with his fema card. And i am supose to feel how? I know it is not all of them but. Talked to a man from baton rouge and he said the worst part there is the refugees making messes of thier town.

nuff said

10. cbbr

I'm from Baton Rouge - hence my interest in NOLA. The guy you talked to is right. It is a giant PITA here now.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Hey, but what about those half full Carnival Cruise Line ships that the feds are paying over $200 million to rent?

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i just hope the assholes that are screwing it up get theirs.some of those people are really screwd and need help. :mad:

13. cbbr

If the general public is on them they will end up having to buy them if the ships are treated like everything else down there. At least they will have spinners installed by then so NOLA will have cool cruise ships.

I think that they are actually using them to house LEO's and firemen, which is a good thing.