Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think about these headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jan 5, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to shop around for exhaust system components. I'm going to have to get a new exhaust by March to pass inspection. So what do you think of these headers?
    http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=115+-59080+-59081+-42274

I'm looking at these because they seem like they would fit pretty close to stock. They have the A.I.R. ports on them already. So they should drop right in. Budget is key to this. I dont have a bunch of money to spend but I dont want to buy crappy parts either. I know there are cheaper options but I only want to buy headers once. These are ceramic coated and seems like they would hold up well.

How bad is it to change spark plugs on these? I know on my dads old c30 it was a pain to get to some of the plugs, but those were just a cheap set of headers.

So what do yall think? Any other recomendations?

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I put those on my K5.Why? Because they were in my price range,cheap.The plugs are hard to get at and I had to massage one tube just to get the plug and wire boot on...I will get a better product next time,lesson learned.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Look for some "Header" plugs. The are shorter than a regular spark plug and make life a little easier. Ive used cheap Summit headers, Dynomax ceramicoated headers, and Hookers. I dont think there was a set that was easier to change plugs on. Just buy some decent gaskets and remember to periodically check your header bolts.

4. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i agree with trailblazr ive run them all, and i cant decide which ones are crappier...!!!
    IMO find a set that are a name brand product and not the summit brand they may be decigned a little better.! to get the plugs out

LUKE

5. hunterguy86

So should I worry about them havin the AIR ports or just take all that stuff off?
    The reason I was looking at shorty headers is because I dont want to have to worry about them hitting the springs or anything like that. One the manifolds come off, I dont have time to worry about exchanging headers. Is this faulty reasoning?

6. trailblazr81

If you dont have to smog it ditch the AIR pump. All it does is inject clean air into the exhaust to dillute it. Kinda like what happens to the exhaust when it goes out the tailpipe. Full lengths will give more power and I havent had issues with them hitting anything. Would just need to have some other exhaust work done.

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

What kind of inspection is it having? Smog check or just a normal safety inspection?

8. hunterguy86

I'm from a small Texas town. No smog at all.

9. trailblazr81

Then ditch the AIR pump.

I would also recomend regular/long tubes. More power than shorties.