Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you think about these roof racks(link)? I want to order

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, May 10, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I want to order this roof rack sized 72"x48"x4". What do you think? Is this too long since it will cover full fiberglass top and extend over cab area? I think the 4" height would look good. Are there any reasons I would not want to have a rack this long?
    Here is the link:
    roof rack on ebay---not exact one, but this guy will make in dimensions I want

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think my only concern would be how to fasten the front part of the rack, as it will be over (and I guess fastened into) your cab. Mine is a conferr, but is all on the fiberglass and uses wellnuts. I think the conferrs and yakimas that some of the other guys here have that extend onto the cab have driprail mounting.

I think that the least amount of destruction to the cab ceiling is advisable. Just my .02

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Good point about the cab Skigirl. I was thinking that if I mounted at 6 points on the fiberglass top, that the extra foot extending on the cab would not need to be supported. Of course it would have to be "lightly" used with things such as sleeping bags, etc.
    Another idea would be to use support feet only on the part extending over the cab, but not actually drill in to cab to mount. Any other thoughts or ideas anyone? I want to order this but it is a bit pricey and I do not want to regret it!

4. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

how about if you put some legs on it like you were gonoing to bolt it in, but instead, the legs had rubber ends or something. then the front would be supported better than if it was just hanging and u dont have to drill the cab?