Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think bout this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Aug 19, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

2. muddybuddy

what auto tranny and t-case is this likely to have?

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The truck should have a th400/np208 combo in it. It will (of course) have 4.56's and a rear Detroit too. I know at least some (if not all) of the electrical system will be 24v.

I realize it's a running truck but imo, $4k is high.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Assuming it's still all original military trim:

6.2, TH400, NP208, 14-bolt FF w/ Detroit, D60 front, 4.56 gears.

They make a great start to a trail truck. They are geared pretty low for highway driving with the stock tires.....not 100% sure what the top speed would be but you shouldn't have to worry about getting any tickets on the freeway.

5. muddybuddy

really a bit high? i bought my 88k5 350/700r4/208 with 4" and 35s with 122k miles body was in real good condition cept for one rust hole in the driverside door for $3500.

around where i live, k5s in good condition are pretty rare to find. diesels are extremely rare. same goes for pickups.

keep the thoughts flowing! is the th400 a good durable tranny? i kinda want OD, is there a tranny swap that is simple that could give me overdrive? ive got some 5.13s around, and id like to use them :D

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Too pricey.. There was one on ebay last week in West Virginia with only 9k miles and it had a buy it now of $2000. I was about $1950 short or I would have bought it :crazy:

7. muddybuddy

alright then. so the final verdict is its too pricey?

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMHO for that much the truck better be totally rust free and in almost perfect shape I would think more like 3000 for that no bids so far so maybe you can get it cheaper

9. muddybuddy

he says it has no rust :confused:

10. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

this guy appears to be a used car salesman, if you go and look at it, dont listen to a word he says, he may think you're an asshat but let him.

find out what it should be(youre on a good start being here) then compare it to what it is, know what you are buying and establish your own opinion on its condition.

as for "no rust" take an awl/punch and a magnet, poke around in the usual places(wheelwells, door bottoms, floor, cab supports, etc) if there is rust an awl will go through it, if there is bondo the mag wont stick. when/if you push through a giant pile of rust and/or bondo, make it obvious so the next guy can know what he's getting in to.

if you decide you want it, make ONE offer, what ever you are willing to pay. dont negoitiate; you, him and everyone that reads this knows there are no bids. take your offer in cash, no more. when he says "but it's on ebay for more," remind him that there are no bids and you are standing in front of him with cash. The military bought how many of these? except for some race cars and other odd ball stuff, there is always another. dont be afraid to walk away

used carsales is expensive, if you sit on a car for very long you either lose use of that money or now owe interest on it. his goal is turn over for profit, most cheap used carsales places i know, only buy what they think they can sell for double, this leaves good profit and room to fix the car or haggle the price when they sell. and now he's out the ebay listing fee. He is trying to turn the truck over and get his money back, you are trying to buy it for cheap, either you find a fair deal or someone gets screwed, dont let it be you.

if i were you i'd offer 2k maybe even 2500 if it really is rust free, you figure you can get 900-1K for the front axle, maybe another 1k for the engine/trans/14ffR axle, and maybe 150-300 from the scrapyard for the body/frame. so even if you later figure out its trash you might not lose your ass. and it's prob about what he paid.

i was looking to buy a car and when i found what i was looking for i made an offer of half what they wanted. they almost laughed when i said it. With out even a thank you i left; but i had given my card to salesmen at first. i hadn't even gotten home yet(less than 5 mi's) and they had called and left a message saying they would make the deal. when i went back i dropped another 10% for making me drive, and threatened to leave again. i got the car i wanted at a price i wanted, but i wouldn't have gone back otherwise. on the way back from delivering it to my house(yet another perk i wrangled) the salesman told me i had bought the car for 50$ less than they paid at auction, but it had been on the lot for 3 mo's and his manager told him to take the loss to move it.

the other side

My g/f needed a car, she looked and found what she wanted(benz t/d), i gave her the name of a good euro import mechanic(old boss), and told her to have it inspected. She went to look at it and liked it, told the owner she would have it inspected on monday. The owner said that someone was coming on sunday to look at it and would probably buy it. Well her mother with out telling my g/f went a put a deposit on the car that day. Forcing her to buy the car and repay the deposit. Well after a $600 turbo, $500 front suspension parts, 2 75$ driveaxles, and misc other little problems(all with my free labor), she now has a car that she paid way more than maket value for even in good shape, it has been wrecked, repainted badly, and has a host of other problems, for the price she could have bought a decent benz that was 10-15 yrs newer, and not have been out of a car for 25 days(in total)

i know these are extremes and make me look good and her bad, but i have paid too much for ****-cans too. just trying to illustrate my point

and yes i ramble a little, sorry....

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

$1500 tops. The guy doesn't know enough about what he is selling to have a realistic price thats why it is so high. just from the pics alone the truck needs major cleaning, the batteries and some of the wiring looks in need of replacement, the rubber floor looks to be torn infront of the seat=possible rust problem, can't tell much about the tires but if they need to be replaced then thats even more money you would have to put in after buying. I would say if you are serious take $1500 cash and offer $1000, point out all the things that visually need work, and then take a look at the engine itself and get an idea of its condition. Don't forget diesel parts usually cost a lot more than gassers but last a long time after being replaced. FWIW my bro in law just bought a similar truck to use for his business for $800 and traded the axle for a 3.73 from the parts yard to make it more highway friendly.