Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think Caddy 500 or build up a 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShitownK5er, Jun 20, 2003.

1. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

ok Found a Caddy hearse with a 500 in it looks good can get it for free so no lose if its messed up, or i have a 2 bolt main 350 thats just about complete that i can modify mildly(only a 2 bolt) which should i go with for my 86 blazer? Its going to go to a th400/np205 8 lug 10 bolt and ff14bolt with discs all around and 4.56 gears. If anyone has done the caddy swap and could let me know problems theyve run in to thatd be great

Cody

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Let's see, the Caddy 500 makes over 500 lb/ft of torque in STOCK trim, and it makes it down really low, like somewhere around 1,600 RPM. That's a no-brainer to me! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

under those circumstances, if there is nothing wrong with the 500, go with that.

-Doc

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

How do ya mate it to the SM465?

And how do you bolt it in the the motor mounts?

-- Mike

5. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

you will probably have to alter the motor mounts or make custom ones which might be a hassle, but once you get that thing in, you probably wont be disappointed
    -doc

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I would say go with the caddy if its in good shape. Throw and aluminum intake on it and be lighter than a big block, but heavier than a small block, making monstor torque! Mash the gas and have fun!

Kris

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out www.500cid.com for about anything you'd ever want to know about Caddy torque monsters. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Two options I can think of:

Older BOP bellhousing adapted to the 465, not sure if the bolt patterns on the trannies were the same.

5.7L diesel truck with manual tranny. Don't have a parts book for that vintage, or I'd know if the 5.7 diesel could come with the 465. if they did, that has to be a *rare* bellhousing.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ive been contemplating a 472 swap... and was told it bolts right up to a 465... not positive, and custom mounts are the only way out... but btw a 2 bolt 350 can take 400-450 hp before you should splay the caps...

10. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Rebuild the 350 and send me the caddy...

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I second HarryH3; the Caddy engine is a no brainer.
    -Harrison

12. dyeager535

No, BOP (and C for Cadillac) are a different engine to trans bolt pattern.

I think the lower 4 bolts line up, it's the top two that don't.

13. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Cody, take a look at the links in my signature and it should give you some ideas on how to install things. The engine mounts are about 4-5" forward of the Chevy mounts and consist of two cast vertical flanges on the block. Several people have done this by cutting and welding the caddy mounts to a plate and the plate to the Chevy mounts. I machined mine from solid bar stock but I would say thats a bit of overkill and not nessecary.

14. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

you also have to have a hole drilled in the crank for the pilot bearing.

15. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No, BOP (and C for Cadillac) are a different engine to trans bolt pattern.

I think the lower 4 bolts line up, it's the top two that don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

BPO transmission cases will bolt right up to a caddy. Its what I used to mate my auto to the transfer case. The www.500cid.com and www.cad500parts.com are good resources for the complete swap. I just recently did it with a '71 472 into my 83 blazer and it was relatively easy and fit better then a big block. Comparing power to mpg against my old nicely built 454 the 472 has just as much power/toque but gets waaaay better mpg (454 got 5 mpg, 472 gets 16 mpg...its a no brainer).

Things you will need for the swap--
    *new motor mounts from cad company.com-$75
    *caddy radiator-since you have a donor car reuse the current radiator, it does sit 2 inches shorter but same width and cools better
    *BPO case--either a 4 speed bpo case or a T400/T350 case with your 4wd transmission guts in it. If you use a manual you can use a truck clutch set up but will have to tap the rear of the crank for the pilot bearing. With the auto use the truck torque converter and redrill the flexplate to fit the tc.
    *reuse existing oil pan no need for the El Dorado oil pan
    *relocate your transmission/transfer case crossmember about 4" forward but do this after the motor is bolted in
    *oil filter relocation kit--Summit Racing or Jegs item but the current oil fiter will hit the front crossmember
    *reuse the exhaust manifolds or modify big block chevy headers--if you reuse the exhaust manifolds reuse the caddy's collectors they are different then chevy
    *keep all the front pulleys, brakets, dist., etc and reuse them

Its technically not a hard swap and the 425/472/500 all weigh the same which is 75 lbs less then a bbc but a similar size, weighs less due to a high nickel content in the block which in return makes a stronger block. Just keep in mind that the older the caddy post 68 to 74 are the best years and the 472 is the better of the motors with the best hp/tq ratings. I run mine on 87 octane pump gas and still can out run just about everything out there with 38's, 4.10 gears, and pushing 6000 lbs of truck still getting 16 mpg. I am sold and in love with my 472 and have another freebie caddy arranged as a back up motor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    BPO transmission cases will bolt right up to a caddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was talking about a 465. No 465's bolted to BOPC *unless* the 5.7 diesels could be had with a manual behind them.

17. JDBlazer454

The key to the manual BPO case is to find an older one early 70's to late 60's and yes it will work. I already hashed out the details with the guy who started mine but had done one before. He used a manual case from an early 70's T/A and tapped the rear of the crank for the pilot bearing, said it was a perfect bolt up. You just have to use your trucks manual tranny guts in the BPO case and it will work. Trying to find a tranny guy willing to do that though maybe a chore and its a not a cheap conversion to do. My T350 cost $800 to have built and my friend cut me a deal, only upside is if I want to put a bbc or a sbc in it I won't have to change out my tranny again.

18. dyeager535

You can't fit 465 guts in any other case, ESPECIALLY a car one, guaranteed. I'd guess the 465 is twice as tall as a muncie, T10, whatever, and is a "top loading" (top mounted shifter) unlike all the late 60 early 70's trannies I am aware of.

Auto trans are easy, since most of the output shaft housings unbolt, and a TH350 from either chev or BOPC is pretty much the same, save the tranny bolt pattern.

Anyone else thats owned an M20/21/22 and a 465 (like myself) will agree, even if they never took either apart: a 465 is like an M20/21/22 is like Ford is like a Chevy. They are both vehicles, and thats where the similarity ends. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but to recap , it seems pretty clear someone told you 465 (manual transmission) innards could be put in a Muncie (or Saginaw) case.

If he can make:
    http://tinyurl.com/fian
    fit into:
    http://tinyurl.com/fiak

he's a freaking magician! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No offense intended, just can't see a 465 fitting a BOPC engine that "easily". Except modifying a BOPC bellhousing to fit the 465.

19. JDBlazer454

Sorry but I think I was probably told wrong /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . It can be done just the basics probably got mixed up. Anyhow the auto I for sure know because I have one. Its a good swap when all finished as long as you can keep it looking good and not hacked together.

20. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

put the 500 in the truck......put the 350 in the hearse and go win some demolition derbies!