Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you think going to glamis

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basing110, Nov 19, 2006.

1. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

so i got mild 454 bored .60 over has cam, intake, high volume fuel pump and edelbrock carb,headers to dual 40 series mufflers ... specs of rest of truck are in my sig but got locked front and welded rear 44" boggers running 5psi 4.56 gears ... will i go up oldsmobile out in glamis? steep parts? i havent been to glamis yet in this thing and i have no roll cage so im kinda sketching out cause i have no idea what to expect and have no roll cage ... should i run in 4 hi or 4 lo?

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Oh man, be carefull. The HP to weight isn't there IMHO, and the carb will hate the bouncy climbs. Make sure you have everything perfect on the tranny, and LOTS of cooling, the tranny will be tortured. Jump it, and parts will break. Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but a 5000+ lb truck takes alot to move through soft stuff.

3. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

You will be fine man! Just roll through the whoops at the bottom, then stand on the gas and you'll go up it fine. I went up it in my truck a few years ago with a tired 400sb and 33's...I haven't been there since I threw my new 500hp motor in, but I have made it up Test and Patton Valley at Gordon's Well. Have fun dude, you'll love it and do great!

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

glamis is fun if you have never been, take time, listin to people who know what they are doing, ask my jeep:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some how found myself rolling down the biggest hill I could find.. listin..listin listin and enjoy the easy stuff. my nerves were shaken to the core afterwards, alot of hammer, high lift and lying on my back to pudh the roof back up and making the doors open..then drove back to az..praying that the shattered windshield would not fail from the wind.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  5. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I dont know if that 44 will hold up. My truck had 4.11's and 38.5's first time out with that combo I broke one of the front axle's and spun the teeth clear off of the ring gear. Of course I am running 500 ponies. Before my upgrades my truck had 35 bfg muds, 3.73 and a 350hp 350 and in 4 low it went anywhere i wanted to. I think you should probably crawl to the top with 4.56 and 44's with 4 low, 4 high will be useless to you with your setup. But I would look into a cage soon if you plan on going often. i've been going since I was 9 so thats about 21 years now. i've seen lots of rolled over rigs. Have fun

6. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Watch the other guys running trucks up the hill. Ask the ones that make it for advise. Alot of trucks try and dont make it. It is not fun trying to back down the hill, or turn around. It is much easier in a rail. That is why I bought one. That and when I get stuck in the rail, I can get out and move it by myself.Dan

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

with that setup you should walk right up it.

I can make it with a mildly built 350 and 35's only locked in the rear. and I don't have a cage. I mean I think about that part but as long as you're just going straight up and down don't worry about it

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

air down to about 8#, I don't think you'll have any problem. I'd run in 4 lo with your combo.

9. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

ive been out to glamis several times just not really in a truck or buggy always bikes....never really seen a truck go up it in person except a hummer which the guy didnt know how to drive so he got stuck alot!!

im not to worried about trying to go up the hill as much as going down the hill... i think my rear brakes are way to tight cause they like to lock up in the sand alot!!! i went to ocitillo wells for haloween to test it out a little ... it crawled right up the face of blowsand in reverse like nothing .... since then i have welded up the rear diff and added some shocks.. yes i said shocks i didnt have any for halloween kinda scary and then im actually gonna tie my battery down in the bed also .. saw some sparks last time ... i said we would just crawl but i found myself romping on it with the new BB addition ..anyone else going out?

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wish I was going...have fun and be safe...the sand is a fun place but like everyone else said its all about the driver in the soft stuff....I've been places in my mom's bone stock tahoe that the Stupid Duty drivers on 20" of lift and 49" IRoks get stuck in because they are dumb. (Serious about that last part...saw one buried to the axles and we drove on by, lol).

In all honesty I would stay in 2wd for the time being and see how you do...if you have manual hubs then put it in 4 low and don't lock the hubs...then drive around. A ton of guys that I know don't click it into 4wd to start off w/ because then your front tires are digging and making it harder for your back tires to drive along because you are digging all the sand out...especially w/ those boggers...you'll be digging your own grave for the rear end.
    But you could always go side to side but that gets bumpy really quickly. Anyway...something to keep in mind....everyone has different driving styles on the sand. Have fun and take lots of pics!

-Avery