Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you think is wrong?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jackedjimmy350, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

i think my rig is running a little <font color="red">warm </font color> , but my temp guage went out a while back and i havent had time to get the new autometer in. anyways, like i said i think its running warm. the level in my radiator gradually goes down, while my overflow keps getting more full everyday. i have seen a little bit of coolant coming from under the cap, so i guess that needs to be replaced as well. so what do you think my problem is? thermostat? water pump? anyone? anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about putting in/hooking up a temp gauge so you actually have some idea what's going on?

It never hurts to replace the thermostat and radiator cap, but it's pretty hard to fix a problem that you haven't found yet.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Replace the cap and see what happens. It sounds like the check that allows the coolant to return from the overflow to the radiator as it cools is not working. Also get the gauge fixed, or use a meat thermometer to determine if it is really running hot. Guessing is no good.

4. jackedjimmy350

i know, i know. its tough to tell without a gauge. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. jackedjimmy350

so i should stick the meat thermometer where? seriously... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Start with the radiator cap, that should get the coolant back to the radiator and the temp down. The cap pressure actually also affects the temp. I would still try to get a temp guage but the symptoms are classical, and the fix is cheap.
    IceMan

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You can stick the thermometer in the fins touching the tubes in the radiator.
    IceMan

8. jackedjimmy350

appreciate the /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jackedjimmy350

what pressure cap do yuo recommend?

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I like those locking caps, I forget what thier name islift o vent I guess?
    I get them at Kragens or Auto Zone.
    IceMan

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm *not* iceman, but I'm actually running a 13PSI cap.
    It never runs any hotter than the t-stat (195) so I've still got quite a margin for "overheating" before the coolant boils, whereas if the engine ran always 210 or 220*, that 13psi wouldn't give me much margin of error.

I believe he is talking about the stant caps with the red lever to vent pressure if you want to open it hot.

Stock caps were 15 or 16psi, but the used radiator I have didn't look to be long for this world, so I figured I'd give it a break.

The higher the PSI of the cap, the higher the boiling temp of the coolant, so if the engine runs hot, you'd be best off running a "stock" PSI cap. Of course, knowing what the coolant temp is would help you make that choice.

In some racing applications they use caps with PSI all the way up into the 20's FWIW. Of course, without some serious $$, you'd probably blow just about every radiator you tried that on : )

12. jackedjimmy350

thanks for the new info. very much appreciated!