Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think it could be?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flcpl4fn, Mar 22, 2001.

1. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

Hope somebody could give me an idea of what it could be. I had my 700r4 rebuilt about 10 months ago and I haven't had any problems with it. I had the transmission fluid and filter changed last Saturday, and today I find a big puddle of trans fluid under my truck. I took it back to the place that did the work and from what we can tell the leak is from around where the transmission hooks up to the t-case which is a 208. It isn't leaking around the trans oil pan. I know the fluid is coming from the transmission because it is what is low on fluid, not the t-case. Any idea why the rear seal would start leaking all of a sudden and how hard is it to change.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I think there is a seal at the end of the tranny,where it attaches to the t-case.Actually I think there are a couple seals in that area that if they go bad will cause a leak.You need to either drop the tranny or t-case to access those seals.Kind of a pain in the @ss job.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Is it leaking where the trans bolts to the adapter or where the adapter bolts to the case? Sounds like you need a gasket. Unbolt the rear driveshaft from the axle then slide it out of the case. Unbolt the front shaft from the front axle and tie it out of the way. Suport the case under a floor jack and strap it down tight. Seperate the 2 parts where there is a leak (trans to adapter or adapter to case) and move the case back slightly. Remove the old gasket and clean both areas with a sctoch brite and some brake clean. Put some RTV on the gasket surfaces, bolt the case back up and bolt the shafts back up.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]