Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think of my work so far???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Itali83, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I've been working on my new truck with the little bit of spare time I've had lately. I'm starting to dig into the body work now. I made one patch so far and welded it up. It's my first time acually cutting out sheet metal and fabbing up a patch out of new 22 guage metal and welding it back in there. I want some advice on what I need to work on. While welding I didn't really blow through much at all. You can see and tell from the pics if you are some one who know's about welding. But I just wanna show off my new truck and the work I've been doing and also looking for body work tips. Thanks guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad[/blue
    http://community.webshots.com/album/27977697VDLRYPGbCb

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I fixed your clicky--you had a , instead of a .

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

that might be easier--

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

now that I checked it out.. nice looking rig,, seems you have done some MAJOR work to the cosmetics of the thing!

how did the headliner install go- was it pretty much a simple fit? same size, or did you have to do any trimming? I replaced mine, with new board, and some black velvet apolstry,, but you can tell I don't work at a apolstry ( I cant spell it) shop...BUT I'd make the trip to maine, to have you do it for me LOL

nice work!
    Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Upholstry. [​IMG]

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I used the factory board, stripped the sagging vinyl off it, scrubbed off the old foam and then bought the headliner material which has the fabric already made onto the foam, and glued it on there,. In 89 they put that style headliner in which I like better so I used it instead of the vinyl.

Thanks for the comments on my jimmy. But I really want people to check out my autocar. the truck thats on the webshots link. thanks agian.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Looking good, Ben ! Keep up the good work !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nice job!

How did you learn to weld? Trial and error, trade school? I checked out your Jimmy from here last night, nice work on the floor there, too.

I have a TIG or a MIG (I haven't even looked at it in months now), and I'd like to be able to do what you're doing. How long have you been welding?

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

upholstery

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

First of all, try using thicker metal 20 GA and clean the metal, remove rust &amp; paint! I usually put many tac welds around the patch (the reason for doing this is: MIG works better if there is no gap between the metal), then I grind the tac welds! Then I run a weld about 1 to 2 inches! I Let that cool, to prevent worpage, or jump to anouther spot on the patch! I hate to mud, so I get the metal as straight as possible!

10. JK5

Has anyone tried taking a DA sander to the headliner to clean off the old foam? I`ve done headliners for K5`s in less than a hour!

11. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks Jerry for the help. I used 22 guage becuase it was as close to the same thickness as the orig I could get. I did grind the metal on the edges so I wasn't welding over paint or rust but I will clean it better and farther out on my next patch. I still have to get good at tweaking the welder. I got a lincoln 110volt mig welder. It's a sweet little rig. very simple and has it's own chart on what settings to use but I know I gotta do it more to get the fine tuning down. I think my wire speed was a little too fast on that patch, it would push my hand away like it was pushing out too much wire before it would acually weld. I didn't realize what it could be until I was done. I did know to tack it in there and then "stitch" it up so I wouldn't get warping from too much heat in one area, so I was doing one part correctly [​IMG]

Ratch, I learned to weld my trial and error. I got the welder when I started my floor project on my Jimmy so I haven't been doing it for that long. I'd like to go to night school to learn how to really weld but being my senior year in high school I'm busy enough so that'll have to wait.

And no in the time I was an upholsterist I never used a DA to clean the old foam off the headliner boards. I used a hard bristled brush and armstong power. Upholstery is a cool line of automotive work that pays pretty well, I kinda miss it but things change and gotta move on.
    Well thanks guys for checking out my truck and check that website out often becuase I gotta have that truck ready for this spring when I go to work in it. Thanks again and keep it coming.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

You have been busy ben. I Just finally got the floor work done in mine and am herculining in there soon. Both your rigs are impressive!!! I like the tough of the wheel caps off the newer 3/4 ton's. Looks sweet!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

13. JK5

Cool, it seems like you have grasped patch fab on your own and you WANT to learn...and your not afraid to jump in the fire..just kidding...LOOKS GOOD...On my Lincoln, on the wire speed control, it has a .025, .030, .035....etc. above the wire speed nob, so it is easy, if I`m using .025, I just use that as a starting point! .025 wire is the best for sheet metal!! I don`t play with wire speed that much, amps is different story! Sometimes I crank-up the amps, if the material is pitted, MIG`s don`t like rust!! Have Fun!!!

14. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Hey Jerry, I'm using .25 wire. The settings are 1-10 for wire speed and A, B, C, D for amps. The chart told me to set it at A/3 but I think I bumped up the speed a little(why? I don't know, but I did) so that may have been my problem. Thanks again and keep in touch guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

15. JK5

Huh, playing around with the settings can be easier if you have a helper to play with the settings while you doing some practice welds on a sample! Oh! there is one thing I forgot, GAS, an argon mix works a little better that straight CO2! Here at work, we have a Lincoln 255, on thicker metals 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 in., we use Tri-gas!!! Ido know if you know this...the gas creates electrical flow between the contact tip and the metal you are welding to! So, playing around with the gas is needed to!! Not to much, you do want to waste any gas!!