Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you think of these HEADS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Mar 12, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I have been hearing a little valve knocking coming from my engine. It is not a bad knock just makes me very mad. I am not even going to try to fix the heads that are on it.
    I have slowly been adding stuff to my engine getting ready for my cam.
    What do you think of these heads from dart:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294866442+4294867027+4294866443&autoview=sku

This is the cam that I will be using:
    http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=CCA-12-246-3&FROM=MG
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

cam looks decent, about the max i'd go with a mild motor in a truck. i think the heads are gonna be too big tho. they have 230cc intake runners. you want around 180-200. they also have 72cc chambers, im not sure what the 85's have but i think my 89 has 64. you might be losing needed compression unless you are swapping pistons.

what HP number are you shooting for? are you leaving the bottom end alone? what do you use your truck for? mud boggin? trails? daily driver?

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

they come in 64 cc also... I plan on those same heads except the 2.02 1.60's with the 200cc intake runners and 64cc's.

It looks like it has the crossover egr but sometimes they just use the same pictures for all their heads. Do the iron eagles come with crossover egr?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

200cc intake runners on a street truck? what do you use it for? mud rocks trails?

On topic, I agree, too large of an intake runner.

Off topic, I think 200 is a little large for most of us around here.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

mud rocks trails are all a factor. It will be puttin out 340-350 hp (after i get the prominator) with the camel humps right now. hopefully about 400 with the darts. look at my profile and let me know if they are still gonna be too big.... i want to be sure.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Why would you want polished runners on a off road truck? How do your accesiores bolt on to your motor with those "camel humps"??
    You think 2.02 size valves and 200cc runners are the answer 'cause thats what everyone says in the "best" Just run a good flowing set of heads with a nice matched cam and be done with it. You want low RPM performance, not the (8000 RPM) small block monster.:laugh: 8000 RPM BTW? On a SBC??? Seriously, could we? Try the mud drags, not rock crawling.....

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Iorn Eagles are good heads, I prefer Dart's Pro-1 heads myself.

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

who said anything about 8000 rpm? My rods are good for 8000 rpm if thats what you mean. I'm not turning 8k just have rods that can do it.

only things that bolt to the heads are headers and intake plus a bracket or two and those stayed the same. It worked out damn good. I didn't have any problems at all with it.

I want darts because dart makes a damn good head 30-70hp on a stock motor and on my motor that means i'll be in the range of 400hp. Also i plan to use the same heads on my camaroe when i get it and put some fast burns on the blaze after i build up the camaroe.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The point is to adamforsyth the thread starter. The heads have too big a intake runner and the cam will be too large IMHO for a rock crawler, mud drags fine high RPM OK. Polished heads have no place in a street motor that only sees 4500-5000RPM plain and simple.

Dirt' get over people not agreeing with you and taking treads off topic. You have something to say not pertaining to the thread as in......

"mud rocks trails are all a factor. It will be puttin out 340-350 hp (after i get the prominator) with the camel humps right now. hopefully about 400 with the darts. look at my profile and let me know if they are still gonna be too big.... i want to be sure."

PM someone, just answer the question at hand, please.........

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i like the world products torquers for a mild smallblock going into a 4x4. im modeling my next engine for the k5 after this one:Chevy 383 High Performance Stroker Crate Engine for Trucks

unless you are mudbogging only, you want a smaller cam, smaller heads, torque is more important than HP. and the lower the torque peak is, the better.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the original posters heads were 230 intake runners and 2.05 1.60's. Your telling me that was directed at the original poster?

that is not off topic?

sled dog said he thought 200 was too big. I want to know if he knew the components and hp of my motor so i can make a better decision when i spend a grand on heads. the original poster already had his question answered. Do you want me to repeat the answer that he already got?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think this discussion is taking this thread off topic. The original poster was discussing an even larger port volume.

Now Dirtwarrior,
    That comment makes me think you need to step back a little and try and learn some basic engine performance things. I'm certainly no expert, I just go with what I've learned over time. A stock set of rods will spin 8,000 RPMs, no problem. RPM capability is based on a LOT more than just your rods. Basically everything in the motor has an effect on RPM capability.

Now as for port volume, the larger the port the more air it can flow. But on the flipside of that, the larger the port the harder it is to fill at low RPM. The point was, on an 8,000 RPM motor a 200 or 230cc setup will fill easily and flow well. But when you never even get above say 5,000 RPMs its doing nothing but hurting your performance. Port volume is something where you are far better off having just a little bit too little, vs just a little bit too much. IMO anyway. On a crawler, trail, mild motor, I wouldn't go over say 180cc, maybe 190. Go with what people recommend for street motors. "Street motors" as they suggest with smaller port heads are more like our motors than race motors are. Also, there is a LOT in porting and polishing. Polishing everything, is a very bad idea. The texture of intake runners greatly help fuel atomization thus helping combustion and power production. Polished exhaust ports are good.

Valve size is another ballpark. I'm building a 383, and going to run 1.94/1.5s in my heads. At low RPM, low lift, a bigger valve is just a bigger thing between the intake runner and the combustion chamber. At higher RPM and lift it allows better breathing, but the hold 2.02 vs 1.94 thing isn't the given people think. Heck, Vortec heads have 1.94 intake valves.

Sorry if you guys feel I'm getting off topic addressing this.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

At that price, I'd be looking at AFRs. More flow, more power, and not that much more expensive.

I also agree...too big of runners. 180 is fine.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

good to know...

I was saying 8000 rpm is what the gm x rods are rated at which is what i have. I thought he read my profile and saw that i said i had gm xrods and that i put 8000 rpms in parenthesis after and connected that to the rpm capability of my motor.

I don't plan to go anywhere past 5000 rpms with a 2bbl tbi.