Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think of this 1st gen K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inscape, Sep 5, 2006.

1. inscape

inscape Registered Member

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/203044373.html

I called the guy up and he said there's about 3k miles on the crate engine, it's not turning over but he'll get it to. He also has replaced the rocker panels and said the rust isn't too bad. So assuming it's in good shape, $1,500 is a good price right? Also, overall are 1st gen or 2nd gen K5's better?

edit: this is going to be a project truck, I have a Civic as my DD, so I just want something cheap and in good shape to work on.

edit: Oh, and if I get a K5 i'll become a member again, I haven't had a K5 in 2 years so I'm ready to get another one.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

The K5 will need some work but if it has a good motor i think 1500 is worth it. And i personaly like the 1st gen K5 cause of the body style and the coolnes of the full removable top.:D

3. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

I'd say it's worth it, as long as there aren't too many mechanical problems. If the tranny/t-case needs rebuilt...it's your call. I got mine for $1200 cash, looks like it was in a little worse conditon and feel that I got a good deal. A first gen for that price seems pretty good.

4. inscape

Well I just learned that 69/70 K5's had drums in the front. I don't know if this one does, but is it hard and costly to convert them to disc? Also, just how bad are front drums?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you have to ask if a 1st Gen is "better" than a 2nd Gen, you're probably not the right guy for that truck.

Seriously, you're talking about a vehicle that is 36 years old....and despite what you think it has for rust, it will have PLENTY. 1st Gen parts are harder to find and more expensive too....

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but if you aren't obsessed with the 1st Gen from the start....it's going to be hard to justify spending the premium $$$ to make it into what you want.

:usaflag:

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

wheres it located? $1500 in this area is way worth it.
    you just have to realize that body style was only made for 4 years (69-72)

7. inscape

Looking through Classic Industries parts don't seem to be too expensive, as long as I don't need/want a new grill for $550:eek1: The more pics that I look at of 1st gens the more I like them. If there's more rust than I can handle then i'll pass. I was just wondering if there were any big advatage/disadvantage to this style. I'm going to go pick up a truck trader to see what else is avaible as well. Thanks for the input.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

• The wheelbase is 2.5" shorter than the later K5's (disadvantage)
    • You can pull the top off and enjoy alfresco 4-wheeling (BIG advantage)
    ....after wheeling in a full-convertible, I can't stand the claustrophobic feeling of wheeling in anything else (even a half-cab)

A "restoration" would be expensive (try to find replacement interior bedside panels or carpet trim, or hatch parts ;) ) but if you want to clean it up and wheel it, you might find that it's not THAT much more expensive to build.

I wouldn't waste time swapping out the drums for disks....just find a newer D44 to swap in....same with the 12-bolt out back. Don't waste time adding a locker, etc (expensive!) unless you're doing some sort of very mild buildup/restoration of it.

Also, check out the 1st Gen forum if you really think you're getting the bug... my gallery links have a substantial number of pics too if you want ideas.

:usaflag:

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have had both 2nd and 1st gen. I prefer 1st gen but 2nd gen has some advantages. Better availability of aftermarket parts and usually a little cheaper. 1st gen it seems like very little is bolt on.

I would agree that just swap axles instead of a conversion to disc on the old axle. Upgrade the 12 bolt rear to 14 bolt if you are going to wheel it. Be ready to do a lot of fabrication for parts you can't find.

Best upgrades I did was HEI, 4 wheel disc, twin stick the transfer case.

Look very closely at it for rust on corners of doors, and definately on the windshield frame. floorboards are notorious for rusting away and the rocker boxes.

If it runs $1500 sounds good. Test the T-case in all positions and make sure the shifter linkage works well. anything that is iffy just offer less.

Plenty of people here that have done very detailed resto mods here with a wealth of knowledge.

I say go for it but realize the level of commitment. Mine was off the road for 2 1/2 years and mucho dinero.

10. inscape

Thanks for the great info guys. I'm pretty set on getting a K5 now, if the 70 is in real bad shape i'll look at others. I'll probably become a member later tonight, I just wasn't positive if I was going to buy another one or not yet. But i'm pretty sure now that I want one. Luckily i'm not too concerned with it being very reliable yet because I'll be leaving it at my parents' house while I work on it.

edit: I also found this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/203398696.html I think I might like the newer style better, well the only way to find out is go look at them tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  11. inscape

Well the 70' K5 was a total piece. I wasn't expecting much, I know it's 36 yrs old. The fiberglass top was in real bad shape, the front axle gears need to be replaced, the windshield is cracked, holes in the doors, had it sitting for 3 years so i'm assuming the gas needs to be pumped out which might be why he can't get it to start. Well, I also found a 2 owner 76 K10. The engine was recently rebuilt, he said it has a Muncie 4 spd which I assume is the SM465, the floorboards were roted so he had them replaced, the paint is 4 yrs old. So hopefully this one will be nice. Assuming the specs for the Blazer also match the K10 it should have a NP205 and 12 bolt rear which should be pretty good for light wheeling. I'm going to also try and check out that 90 K5 as well.

12. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that. I greatly prefer the first gens, too bad you couldn't get it. Hope the others are better:waytogo:

13. MetalMelter

MetalMelter 1/2 ton status

I would buy it , enjoy your new money pit.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010