Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you think of this setup?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by amm888, May 9, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

my future setup...

4 ch RF punch 500x amp powers (under seat)
    2 Pioneer 6x9 80w (forward of wheel well)
    2 Pioneer 6 1/4 80w (kickpanel of doors)

2 ch RF punch 700/800 amp powers (under other seat)
    1(2?) L5 10" sub (behind wheel wells)

[or 4 or 5 ch 1000W amp (with variable crossovers) driving speaks and subs]

misc head unit
    misc 6 cd changer (in console)

sound good?
    any suggestions?

appreciate any input /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    alex

2. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pretty good plan. be careful putting the amps under the seat. you want to make sure they dont get too hot. I like the idea of mounting them behind the side panels in the rear of the truck. They are invisible and pretty much theft proof back there. Have you considered buying the qlogic kick panels for the speakers and getting a component set up. The sound will be far superior to the speakers in the doors. If you keep them in the doors I would line the door with some sound insulation or something. A lot of sound goes right out through the outer layer of the door.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My amp fits fine under the seat but my 12disk didnt but, Iam sure you can get 12s to fit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

thanks for the advice, i'll look into the kick panels. not really sure what a component system is but i'll look into that too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    my future setup...

4 ch RF punch 500x amp powers (under seat)
    2 Pioneer 6x9 80w (forward of wheel well)
    2 Pioneer 6 1/4 80w (kickpanel of doors)

2 ch RF punch 700/800 amp powers (under other seat)
    1(2?) L5 10" sub (behind wheel wells)

misc head unit
    misc 6 cd changer (in console)

sound good?
    any suggestions?

appreciate any input /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex,

My suggestion would be to move the "misc head unit" to the TOP of your list, and really understand that it will be the heart of your system (and spend accordingly!)

The head unit should not be an afterthought (as it appears to be from your list)....you should focus on finding one with at least a 4 Volt preamp output, so that you have a nice strong, clean signal to feed the rest of the system. It will save you all kinds of headaches later on......(engine noise, low output, distortion, etc)

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

greg is exactly right. I have done it both ways and trust me it is well worth your while to spend some extra on the head unit. you can always add speakers or amps a little down the road. also components speakers usually consist of a seperate tweeter and woofer (midrange??) anyhow the quality of a system like this is much better. again more money, but better sound. they should have a built in crossover that will control the highs to the tweeters and the lows to the woofers.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get a high end head unit deffently. I'm not a fan of Rockford Fosgate. I think you pay more for the name then anything else with RF. Crossfire is some good equipment and BozoWise can hook you up with it. I personally like MMATS, but that's mega-bucks. JL Audio is good, Orion kicks arse, Kicker has it going on also. But it's your money, so it's your choice.

8. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

get a Pioneer head unit they are really good, and JL makes the best speakers

9. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

awesome, more input, keep the advice comin' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

by misc head unit i didn't mean to imply i was gonna cheap out on it (or just throw any old thing in there) - just that i think i can figure that part out on my own...i'm planning on getting something with a sub input, plays mp3s...not sure what brand, and i'd like to stay under $400

it's the other components and their wattage compatabilities and placements that i really wanted to swing by you guys.

thanks again for the advice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I would deffinetely look into Kenwood head units. My last two have been kenwood. I picked up one that plays MP3's, has three sets of 4v pre-outs and a built in crossover. I payed about 350 for it. Probably would be less now. I bought mine about 4 months ago.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned