Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think of this winch from harbor freight?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 26, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I think I would be leary of Harbor freight. The grinder's, and belt sander I have bought, are underpowered, and "overrated".

It's Your coice though. With a 2 1/2" drum diameter, it's gonna really coil that cable up, when it unspool's, it might look like a coil of fishing line, all tangled, and twisted.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it's of the same quality as most of the other stuff that they sell at Harbor Freight, it's probably good for 2-to-5 uses before it's broken. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Assuming of course that you aren't stuck really badly the first time!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Got Snickers?? Cause you "wont be going anywhere for a while" with that 1.8 hp motor and gearing!!

Then again.....maybe better than a come-a-long or at least may get ya unstuck.

Rob

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

said something like 339. For not much more, I'd get a milemarker 8k/9k electric. Maybe 100-150 more, but at least I know it will work when I need it to.

A buddy of mine got a harborfrieght one, similiar to yours. It worked, but it only lasted maybe 4 pulls, before it melted itself.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I inquired about that winch last year. I received several responses about it not functioning or burning up when under load. Someone said they were repackaged low-end Ramsey's. I decided against it.

7. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Someone said they were repackaged low-end Ramsey's.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I doubt that. I think Ramsey stuff is still made in the USofA. Pretty much everything that Harbor Freight sells is Made In China.

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight IMHO= Salvaged good's from sunken ship's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ITS JUNK....
    Whats your life and your rig worth on the side of a hill???
    made by some guy getting 10 cents and hour and working in a sweat shop....

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Allllllll-righty then! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What do you guys think of their pipe/tubing notcher (42324-1rxa) for $39.99
    and their
    horizontal/vertical bandsaw (37151-7rxg) for $169.99
    Both made by central machinery /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of getting one to mount on my trailer to get non running vehicles up on it.

Thats about all I would use it for.

Ken H.

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Quick Hijack... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif What about their Hydraulic shop press? it's a 25 ton, I think. $89. Would use it on u-joints and carrier bearings... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I have in My possesion, one of the bandsaw's, it work's o.k., the blade's are'nt worth a dime though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Go to local saw shop, and have them make a few, decent metal cutting blade's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

They sell no 25 ton hydraulic press for 89 bucks. I do however have their 12 ton model which I bought for $109.00 It has been a life saver.

15. HarryH3

Yep, their cheapie press is just 12 tons. I've got one that I bought probably 10 years ago. I don't use it often, but when I need it, there is no other tool that will do the job. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The jack leaked when I first got it, but they replaced it under warranty for me. The frame is very narrow on their presses. I think that's one way they keep the cost low. Keeping a 3-foot-long I beam from bending under 12 tons of pressure is way harder than when using just a 2-foot-long I beam. Sometimes it's a real pain in the a$$ to balance a part, while trying to operate the jack, because the frame is too narrow for the part to fit properly on. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif For example, a 3/4-ton hub and rotor won't fit on there all the way when pressing studs in or out. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But for $89 it does a decent job on small stuff.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That winch looks like the MM and I wasn't impressed w/ it at all. I have one of the saws you asked about, but mine has an Enco label. You can find it in all kids of brands, but they are all made in the same factory. The blades it comes w/ will be junk. Get some good ones, as stated above, and you will be OK. I have had a hard time keeping mine cutting straight, but that might be more of an issue on mine, because it was a freebe put together from parts of broken saws, and I haven't heard anyone else make the same complaint.