Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think of this!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, May 11, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Here's what happened to my 406. It's all disassembled now, and I am considering a crate motor. I have delt with this problem twice now and am tired of it. Something has to be wrong in the block or something. SO much metal went through the block this time that it needs a complete rebuild again. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

ouch! something definately aint right there. But if your looking for a crate motor try www.speedomotive.com , they have good prices and ive heard good things about their engines.

3. uglytruck

uglytruck Registered Member

That image sickens me to remember my own rebuild on my 383 motor. My experience taught that after a rebuild, the fuel and ignition system have to right on. On mine after destroying my clevite77 bearings, having to turn my brand new 400 crank down .030 to minimums and scaring virtually all of my bearing surfaces from all the metal running through the engine. I finally found that the ignition module was only feeding my new hpo. MSD coil 7volts which made for a very weak spark. The final analysis was to get enough power out of my engine for a test drive I had to use excessive throttle which dumped a lot of fuel down my fresh unsealed cylinders. Since the excess fuel wasn't all being burn't a lot of it ended up in the oil. when enough fuel is in the oil it washes the bearings causing metal to metal contact.
    My fix was to install a refurbished HEI distributer, It was very easy to put in and has great perfermance. I was also told that another cause for this could be from the block mounted fuel pump which could leak fuel into the block when it is starting to go bad. So I removed the old pump, installed a cover, and installed an electric fuel pump (note: the fuel pump and filter should be located close to the fuel tank and as low as you can, but still be protected from the trail. I have three tanks and mounted it on the l/h frame rail just aft of hip tank where the fuel line crosses over to the r/h side.) The final thing it could have been is on the old Qjet carbs there are pot metal seals on bottom of the carb(galley plugs from the mfg process) that over time and use can start leaking. I had already installed a brand new EDL Qjet with the first rebuild.
    In hind sight I would have purchased a crate motor instead because of all the time it took and all the extra expenses with the details. That said I would have most likely destroyed that motor too with my poor ignition.
    Good luck I hope this helps.