Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think??

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by backcountry, May 27, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Hello All!

I have a few questions on front and read differentials if I may? Listed below, I have included my vehicle specifications.

1973 Chevy K/10 Fleet Side Long bed Pickup
    350 Engine (Rebuilt) 30 over w/Mild Cam
    Edelbrock Carb and Intake
    K&N Air Filter
    MSD 6AL
    MSD Billet Distributor
    Milodon Oil Pump & Pan
    High Torque Mini Starter
    Headman 1 5/8” Ceramic Coated Headers
    Xcelerator Mufflers with 2 ¼” Tubing
    SM 465 Transmission (Rebuilt)
    NP 205 Transfer Case (Rebuilt)
    12 Bolt Rear End with OEM Limited Slip (3.73 Gears)
    Dana 44 Front End (ff) (3.73 Gears)
    16”x8 Rims w/33” Tires
    Superlift 2 ½” Springs Front and Rear
    Rancho RS 5000 Shocks
    Rancho Steering Stabilizer
    Urethane Suspension Bushings
    Urethane Body Bushings
    Urethane Motor and Transfer Case mounts

For the record; I do 80 percent on-road driving and 20 percent off-road. I also drive in snow about 10 times a year. I am a conservative driver off-road.

I would like to replace my old worn out limited slip unit however; I am looking for some recommendations. I was thinking of maybe installing a new limited slip/locker combo. Any suggestions on brands and where I may be able to purchase this kind of stuff? Also, would I need to upgrade my axles as well? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a free floating front end and was thinking of a plain locker in this location. What do you think? Would it be wise to upgrade these axles as well? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I just replaced my rear driveline and yokes. I now have 1350 greaseless u-joints installed. I replaced the front driveline as well however, I was told that I am unable to upgrade to the 1350’s so I am apparently stuck with a heaver duty version of the 1310 u-joints. I ordered both drivelines from this place; http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/4x4_off_road.html

I also just purchased a steering bracket from http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm for my steering box. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Any and all help would be much appreciated, thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Backcountry

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I would suggest a Detroit locker in the rear and leaving the front open since you are offroad 20% of the time. But Im a cheapskate, if you have the $$$ get a selectable locker for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

I second that!!!!

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

For general use and especially running in the snow, an open front is the way so I'd have to second the suggestion of running selectable front or open up there. For the rear, I'd say either a selectable or a detroit, I'd lean toward the detroit but for on road in a truck they can be a bit grumpy. The nice thing about the detroit is that it works every time you push on the gas, no questions.
    For 33's, the factory shafts are probably fine but a HD replacement shaft wouldn't hurt, we carry the Superior shafts for the 12 bolt and they're definitely nice stuff.

Hope this helps
    SW

5. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Stephen and all that replyed! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Yes I was on your web site and saw the axles. I believe you have them for my front dana 44 as well.

I ordered your steering brace and will be placing an order for new axles sometime in the next few months.

Also, have you heard anything about the possitraction/locker unit? I dont want my truck to fight me on the road much.

Thank you all for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Tread Lightly! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A detroit will give you some feedback on the road, it seems to vary a bit from vehicle to vehicle and of course people's perceptions also vary. The only way to be really safe with it is to run a selectable locker but there's not a great variety of lockers available. You can get an ARB and I think that's it.
    Personally I've had a detroit or lockright in the back of my daily driver for the last 9 years and while they can be grumpy, for my use, I don't mind.