Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you think ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhound72, May 7, 2005.

1. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Do you think that a stock Chevy truck mirror will hold up to a 102” CB antenna attached to it. I just dont know if the extra weight and force on will snap it off.

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

If the mirrors are anything like mine they will fold in while driving and shutting the doors.

The rear bumper works.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not a good place..

Maybe a fiberglass whip,but a stainless steel 102" whip + a spring?--I dont think it will like it much!..plus your cable will get all frayed from the door closing on it in no time flat..your better off in the rear,or using a rain gutter mount,or on your roofrack if you have one--the signal pattern is best when mounted in the center of the vehicle more so than when an antenna is mounted on one side--the signal tends to be strongest diagonal to the side the antenna is mounted on,if mounted on one side..--

On my 72 K5 I put the antenna is several locations and tested it out--it was best mounted on the spare tire rack in the passenger side rear quarter,the signal went mostly towards the drivers side front that way--best for reaching drivers coming at you in the opposite direction on the highway..I found running a ground wire helped lower my SWR ratio a lot too..the carrier was mounted in rubber "well nuts" that didnt allow for a good ground!.. :crazy:

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have my 60" cb antenna on the roof of the cab, works real good, cept it hits trees every now and then, but its alright, its an antenna