Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you use for pickup cargo mgmt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by w0lf, Jan 6, 2007.

1. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

I'm trying to find something to use in Silverado. Ideally i'd like to have something that allows me to use a net for hauling loose crap, and then something like the pac mule to manage luggage and heavier items.

I see Chevy has something for the 2007, but it doesn't look like it will fit into a 2005 short bed like mine.

Any suggestions?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a good cargo car or two, some small ratchet straps, and a tarp usually work good.

3. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

that is what i've been using, i was wondering if there was something else that is a bit sturdier and flexible?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you looking for something more permanent, or just a solution for strapping down the odd piece of cargo you carry? What kind of stuff are you hauling?

I keep a selection of ratchet straps and bungie cords in my toolbox, and generally don't have a problem strapping things down as needed. I have yet to haul something that can't be adequately secured, and best of all, when I'm all done hauling, the straps go back into the toolbox until the next time they are needed.

5. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

if there was a bad ass permanent system out there, i would definitely look seriously at it. there are 2 primary things that i need the CMS for.

1 - loose cardboard boxes that i take to the dump on a weekly basis
    2 - my 2 cargo boxes, bags, gas cans and dog gear for when my wife and i go camping / quadding (this is the one i need a sturdy solution for)

6. Can Can

Have you ever thought of buying one of those deep aluminum toolboxes that sits on the box rails behind the cab? I have one on my V3500 and you'd be amazed at how much gear you can stuff into one of those.

Regarding the cardboard, if it were me I'd find a way to make the ratchet straps work. I mean, who wants to spend extra money hauling stuff to the dump??? :rotfl:

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed, the scrapyard is one thing, the dump is entirely out of the question for spending money on gear for hauling. i'm not even sure i'd waste duct tape on that one. :haha:

8. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

yeah, i actually looked into that. the problem is, when i take my quad in the back, i use that space for my gas gans and the gear. that is why i have to use 2 removable bins when i travel heavy.

i know, i'm a crazy "green" californian driving a 10 mpg truck. what can i say? :haha:

9. Can Can

I noticed that you had a shortbox, and figured that's why you didn't use a toolbox. Those suckers really cut down on bed space with a shorty.

10. w0lf

w0lf Registered Member

couldn't agree more, that is exactly why i'm stuck right now.