Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you use to flare Stainless Brakelines??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, here is my dilemma,
    I bought some stainless steel brake lines for my rear 14bolt. I bought them straight and bent them in place. I bought a little too much (by like 2 feet) and have to cut and flare it. First I tried cutting it with my tube cutter, nope, chipped my freakin cutter blade too![​IMG]
    Then I tried the sawzall, nope, too violent. So I broke out the air powered cutoff wheel. Worked great!![​IMG] Should've used that first.
    Now, got that figured out. But when I tried to flare it, after I tightened down on the line really hard with the flaring tool, but everytime I spin into it, the line just slides down the tool and not flare out like its suppose to. This stainless steel line is SO TOUGH!!! TOO Tough!! I should've stuck with steel. [​IMG]
    Do any of yall have any suggestions or ideas? Is there a Flaring tool out there made specifically for Stainless Steel lines?? I'm stumped! Thanks for any help. Take care.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Hey Boss I would of thought that a good double flare tool would do the job that is what your useing right? You mite give your locale brake shop a call. good luck Eric

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I dont know what brand of tube you are using but inline tube claims to be able to flair with a regular flair tool....is the tool in good shape?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

4. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I've run into this problem before, and I did the easiest and cheapest solution, I heated the end of the tubing. You have to get it pretty hot, but then it flares great. Oh, in no way can I guarantee proper results, but try it on some scrap tube and don't quick cool the piece. Let it cool slowly.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like Highlander says, use a double flare tool. This is all you need to make the job go easier. A regular flare tool wont make the right flare for these brake items, which are VERY important part of a vehicle.