Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you use to heat your home? Anyone use Wood?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pookster, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

One of these days, I will save up enough to get a house. But I was wondering, is a wood stove economical? My parents have used gas and oil... the gas ones seemd to heat a lot less for the buck, and the oil one, while it heats good, its still alot.

I was thinking Wood, or wood pellet fed fireplace for most of my heating needs. Anyone have any thoughts? Opinions? etc?

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

you gonna use wood as a primary source? my vacation place has an oil furnace with a wood stove next to it. i can heat with either the oil or wood, there both hooked up to the blower. wood sure beats the cost of fuel oil, but the house is on 80 acres of land 50 of which is forest, so wood doesnt cost anything but labor to chop it up. i've seen stand alone wood furnaces but i have no idea how much it cost to operate.

another option is a small wood stove, like a frankiln unit. they put out tons of heat but its centralized, not good for entire homes.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well My parents have a wood stove and that thing rocks...But it dosent heat there whole house..That is what the central heat and air is for...LOL

I would like to get a pellet stove and use the fan on it to heat the house ....But if the power goes out then you have no heat....

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

we have a wood fired oil back up furnace. Use about 7 cords of wood per year, if we paid for the wood- at 125 per cord for dry wood- it would still cost less than oil. Especially with forced hot air- once the blower shuts off the heat is gone..with wood- it is warm all the time!

Brandy

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I see that you live in New York City. First off I would see if it was even legal to burn wood first since a lot of big city's have ordinance aginst wood/coal burnning stoves. Secondly how much would it cost you for a quard of wood? I burn wood but I get it for free. Use 10 quard a year for the reguler stove the wood cookstove and the shop stove.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My house is uses oil heat. The house was built in 1920 and ran steam heat on coal, now converted to oil.

I'd put my money on oil. I've known people with gas, and it never made me comfortable. Wood stove I'd think is only good for a single room. My parents looked into wood stove for thier house in PA, but it wasn't worth it, so they went with electric baseboard and a decorative (but functional) fireplace.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question?

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Wood stove I'd think is only good for a single room.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ratch,
    Wood stoves are rated just like gas or oil stoves. You just have to get one with the right BTU (British thermal units) for the dwelling that it is going in. Our wood stove heats a 3 bdr home with no problem.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

After living in our home with a small, single room gas furnace for 7 years, I'm very happy with our newly installed central heat &amp; air units as we are getting actual heat in every room now!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Before, with the gas furnace in the living room, we had space heaters in all the other rooms and that means $$$ in the electric bills. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

We used wood as our only source of heat from 1980-1995. We have one centrally located Schrader Wood Stove, which heated the whole house fairly well. It's still here, and we use it occasionally. In 1995 we had a Natural gas furnace installed.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I use my wife.....

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, I didn't know that at all. I thought they were 90% decorative (like antique style) and for one room only, with a heating system for the other rooms.
    That's interesting, thanks Corey!

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a wood stove that I use as much as I can. If I'm not careful, It'll bake us out. It does heat every room no problem. I use about a cord a month.