Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you use to pull things out???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1985K20, Jun 9, 2005.

?

What is the miracle device to use?

1. Steel chain

22.6%
  2. Steel cable

6.5%
  3. Tow strap

67.7%
  4. Normal rope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nylon rope

3.2%
  1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

So what's all yas using ti get the heavy s**t out of the hole?

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Strap first then winch cable if needed.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

what ever we have :D chains scare me a little. :frown1:

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

C-4. Simple, yet effective.

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Being a farmer, I always have chains

6. boggerless

THAT would do it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :laugh: :laugh: you crazy. :grin:

7. boggerless

chains are stronger but around here if you get stuck you hook up.most of the time it's a new guy that hooks it up wrong. :confused: i've had peeps hook it to a cross member on the frame.??????????????? that's why i would rather have a strap for most instances. :laugh: :laugh:

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Straps are what scares Me. A 3" wide strap usually has a WLL of 4700 lbs. On the other hand 5/16 grade 70 chain has a WLL of 4700 lbs as well. Now if You step up to 1/2 grade 70 chain the WLL is 11,300 and 5/8 is 15,800 WLL. Grade 80 and grade 100 are even stronger yet.

9. boggerless

thats what i mean,something is gonna break. and its not the chain. :shocked:

10. boggerless

i've had peeps that pull like they are going to win the lottery. :D

11. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

We use an army sling rope (one of those you see carrying the hummers under choppers and such). It is strong and heavy. The best part is that when you pull on it it stretches like a snatch rope. You can barley feel it in either ve3hicle no matter how hard you pull on it. It wheighs a ton though. Take the bad with the good I guess. I dont like chains unless it is just an easy dead pull. When you start yanking on chains they have a tendacy of breaking and coming at the truck or you.

12. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Haha has anyone seen that arb strap that streches, haha that thing sucks. I think ive broken over 20 straps, now i use my dad's old chain dont know what grade it is, but i feel pretty safe with it. I pulled my friends stupid duty out one day from the biggest pit ever, if it didnt break then i dont think it ever will i must of had like 5 feet of slack until i hit the gas, after a few hours of that it came out. I have ripped a hole in a f150s frame before, but everytime that the chain has ever come out it has always hit the ground first. Ive seen a strap smash the crap out of tailgates before.

13. google

google 1/2 ton status

Had the same thing happen with a strap like yours. Was with a friend that burried his dodge ram and someone used a strap like that that streached a little. When the hook came unhooked, it shot back and THROUGH their tailgate.

Safe to say, you could put an eye out with that thing.

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

first off don't use a chain to "jerk" on, it WILL break. i had to go pull a cousin out with my strap because they broke their chain. it came back and smached the windshield. if it would went threw the windshield, it would have hit him in the head and probably killed him. the truck that was pulling him, the chain went right threw the tail gate. the funny thing is he said my strap would break because they broke a 7/16" chain. i didn't break my strap.

i will not pull anyone out or let anyone pull me out with a chain. id rather break 50 straps before i have to use a chain.

my strap is a military tow strap that i bought off ebay. its 1 3/4" wide and is rated for 10,000 lift. lifting straps have to have a WLL of 3 times of what they are rated for. so its a 30,000 lbs strap. i did break it later that night, but because it had a knot in it and weakened it, it broke right at the knot.

second, dont use straps with hooks on them for jerking. 75% of the time, the hook is not rated for what the strap is, so it break sending the rest of the peices and the strap toward either vehicle.

15. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

like already mentioned try using endless lifting slings,
    theyre available at most rigging/wire rope companies,
    i can have them made in less than an hour for any purpose, up to like 300klb WLL
    dont get hooks get an endless sling theyre like a big loop
    use good tow hooks(not the crappy 10klb one from everyone, 5klb+gas=snap)
    ive seen ppl lift 30ft 4lane bridge sections using 4 slings(for stability, but the engineer said 2 would have held the weight

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been stuck alot so I kind of consider myself an expert first off anything less than a 3" wide strap ( the kind that stretches ) is too small for a full size truck I don't even care how many trucks you have pulled out with your little 2" strap. Second if a strap breaks it will not kill someone. IF your strap breaks because the tow hook it was attached too tore off the frame it is the tow hook that is gonna kill someone. Always use the same size strap if using more than one and put some type of weight on the shackle you are using to connect them. Cause if one of the straps breaks the shackle is gonna come at you with some speed. I don't care how strong your freaking chain is or how many times you have pulled out an 80,000 lb whatever chains cannot take shock loading as well as a strap. I don't understand the laws of physics, my Dad does, I remember a figure being something like if a 100 lb object pulls another 100lb object but has a 10 ft start yadda yadda yadda ( I don't remember most of the specifics) the load on the lead object exceeded 10,000 lbs for a tenth of a second. That is another reason straps wear out, the shock loads stretch the fibers and they become frayed. Heres a good reason to be carefull. I was stuck really bad (my blazer 10" lift 40" tires) we had to shovel mud out of the way to get my doors open, two straps hooked together the little one broke they were connected with a clevis, the clevis came back into my grille and absolutely destroyed everything in the first couple of feet of my blazer. It hit just below the grille where the apron bolts on to the two small bolts ('73 blazer) and went far enough to break my fan. You might be fine pulling someone out with a chain or whatever for 50 years but that one time that chain breaks and hits someone they are going to DIE.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have a picture of a chain in midflight headed towards my windshield somewhere.....

18. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

most good slings(they are slings, not straps i dont care what the military calls em)have a shock thread woven into them so you know when theyre worn out, its usually a contrasting color for easy identification
    WLL is just that working load limit, the ability to withstand a static load. shock(moving) limits are exponentially lower based on the weight of the stuck vehicle, the resistance to movement(mud), speed, acceleration, and the weight of the pull vehicle. i dont have the formula handy but chain has almost no shock load ability.
    if the guy with his daddy's old chain were to inspect it; i'd put $2 that says the links are streched(concave on the sides)
    endless slings are the way to go, you can change direction and the sling with self level the load between both sides. but NO KNOTS they severly alter the strength of the sling
    50k+ tow hooks are available at large truck shops they have 3, 4, and 5 bolt versions with very high WLLs,
    you might have to mount them on the side of the frame, even better might be tabs on the frame to allow you to use shackles
    i know D rings are popular but i dont trust the straight pull on a weld like that.
    i know ppl use them and i've seen them used to lift heavy a$$ed s**t but i dont know about the shock loading... esp mounted on a bumper that is then mounted to the frame...
    kinda like the guys that tried to steal an ATM only to rip their bumper off and leave their license plate for the man

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My hips :thinking:

John

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Whatever I can get...

I dont get stuck or pull many others out too often,so I use whatever i have handy,whether its a winch cable,straps,or a chain...I'd say the chain gets used more than the others,because thats all I usually carry with me..its not the safest thing to use however...

I was in a ford F250 one day with a friend,wheeling on some power line trails--we got stuck when 3 wheels broke thru some ice over a shallow pool--another guy in a jeep behind is tried to pull us out...his jeep was lighter by far,so he had to get a bit of steam up,he left about 10ft of slack in the chain--after 3 attempts at pulling us out,each more violent than the first,his entire rear bumper ripped off,the bolts pulled right thru,and it came right thru the rear window and out the windsheild of the F250.and came to rest between the 2 of us --nearly killed us both!--it also pushed the radio into the firewall!..we were very lucky to have only a few cuts from the shattered window,and a scrape on my arm!...

If I have to "jerk" on a chain,I put a peice of pipe over it first before hooking it to the object I'm pulling--then if it does happen to snap,it drops to the ground instead of becoming a missle....I've seen guys tow vehicles using 2 pipes that way--sort of a hillbilly tow bar!..its amazing how good it works..but I would hate for a cop to see anyone towing that way,they wont
    be driving home....its best to consider ANY means of pulling power deadly,whether its rope,chain cable or whatever--they ALL can maim or kill!!..