Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does a 14ff eat for lunch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Feb 28, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I painted my rear axle about a month ago, and the other day I noticed a strange dent in my 14 bolt cover. I knew it happened recently because the dent had chipped through the fresh paint.
    I immediately took the cover off to find quite a surprise. Whoever put the differential together, overtightened one of the bolts that holds the clips into the shim adjuster nuts on each side. This caused the nut to shear off, bringing the clip with it. It got lodged between the ring gear and the magnet in the bottom of the diff, and then dislodged the magnet. All of the pieces went around the ring gear, befor being chewed beyween the ring and pinion gears, then everything landed on top of the magnet which stuck itself to the bottom of the differential in the back near the pinion and on the opposite side of where the factory attached it. Somehow, none of the teeth on the ring or pinion managed to get chipped or messed up. I dont know how that happened. Anyways I attached some picutres I took for your viewing pleasure.

lunch2.jpg

lunch.jpg

lunch3.jpg

lunch4.jpg

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What does a 14ff eat for lunch?

Gov Locks :D

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The first picture shows the dent in the cover from the outside. The second picutre shows the metal parts that got chewed up inside the diff. The third picture shows the dent from the inside of the cover. It almost went all the way through. The fourth pictur shows the inside of the diff. Notice, on the right side of the ring gear, the bolt with clip under it. But on the left side, the bolt and clip are gone.
    -Harrison

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know why the pictures are so big?
    -Harrison

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HOw long have you been driving it like that? Backlash might have opened up and ate the ring and pinion also!

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its been like that for maybe at the latest 3 weeks. But the clip is only on there as an extra safety measure. Even without the clip through the holes, the shim adjuster nut cant turn. It is held down by the 4 bolts (nut sure what they are called, maybe carrier bolts?) 2 on each side of the detroit. That is what my friend (the head service manager at my local chevy dealership) told me. To be sure, I tried using a screwdriver in the shim adjuster nut without the clip, and it wouldnt budge. I have had the carrier out before myself, and I remember that the carrier bolts had to be taken out before the adjuster nut could be turned. I, however, was not the last person to have the carrier out, so it was someone else that overtightened the bolt.:whistle:

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What surprised me was that the ring and pinion was ok after chewing through all that metal.
    -Harrison

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well your referring to the caps, and yes the adjusters still can move, trust me, seen it before.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not. The ring and pinion are much harder than that magnet.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I tried turning them and them seem tight for now. Do you know anywhere I can get those replacement parts? Junkyards around here suck and never have anything.
    -Harrison

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Harrison I'm pretty sure I've got a spare set.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

That would be great. The only place I could think would have it would be the dealer, and we all know how much they want for parts. Let me know if you can find it, because that would be great.
    -Harrison

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

pics are too small, cant make out what it is, where is my magnifying glass when i need it?:D

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. But I dont know how to make them any smaller.:confused:
    -Harrison