Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does a clutch act like when it's wearing out?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 12, 2003.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

What does a clutch act like when it\'s wearing out?

As I understand it (/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif), they have a certain life span and need to be replaced periodically (like brake pads).
    Mine (sm465 (?) L-1-2-3-R) has been vibrating and seizing strangely lately (while in gear, so perhaps it is not a tranny problem).
    What should be expected of a failing clutch? Any info would be appreciated a lot.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

Also, I should add:
    Sometimes, when shifting, you can feel the stick move as it eases into gear, as if it's pulling it into just the right position. Maybe some bolts somewhere just need to be tightened? Again, thanks.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: What does a clutch act like when it\'s wearing out?

happens when your depressing the clutch right? Sounds more like throwout bearing is going or gone to me. When the clutch disc and pressure plate are worn you will notice that your RPMs increase while your vehicle doesn't accelerate. Ever felt a tranny slip in an automatic? its very similar. Its clutch slippage.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The symptoms you have mentioned can also be caused by a broken spring within the clutch. In either instance, you have to remove the entire drivetrain (driveshafts, tcase, tranny, bellhousing) to fix it. I would recommend that if you go in there to fix one part, you replace everything. It isn't something you want to do twice!

You can get a clutch set (pressure plate, clutch, throw-out bearing and alignment tool) from Autozone for as low as $110 with a limited lifetime warranty.

4. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

nope, it's when it's in gear. Mostly at lower RPMs, especially when the truck would rather be in a lower gear than I have it.
    Currently, the ignition coil (I think) is being replaced, so perhaps that will alleviate the symptoms. Thanks for the response.
    Tom