Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does a Gov Loc look like?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 22, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My friend's yellow Suburban recently started acting like a posi just all of a sudden. It's a 14-bolt out of a '74 truck with 4.10's, and when we swapped it in, it never acted like a posi. We pulled the diff. cover today. Can anyone describe what a Gov Loc looks like? Would there be any reason for one to start working suddenly after not working for a year?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

How many big holes (pins) where there? 3 or 4? If it was 3 then it is a gov lock, and if it was 4 it was an open diff.

3. mountainexplorer

Since my intelligence about differentials is small, I'm not sure what holes or pins to look for. I do know that we can't see the spider gears.

4. Hossbaby50

If you have the cover dropped and if you look at the middle of the diff, and you will see holes about the size of a penny. If you see 4 holes for the pins around the ring gear (have to turn the ring gear to see) the it is open, and if you see 3 then you have a gov-loc.

5. Hossbaby50

6. mountainexplorer

Unfortunately, I didnt take count when I was looking at it. He already put the cover back on and drove home. The carrier did look different than the one in the article. I'll be sure to take count if/when we have the cover off again. Thanks for the info. If it was a gov loc, any reason it wouldnt work, then start to work suddenly? Also, there were quite a few metal shavings at the bottom magnet.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

8. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Sometimes my gov-lock will not lock-up at all, then other times outta no where I'll be turning a corner and the thing will chirp the tires like its fully locked... Going slowly up steep grades the unit works, any time where there's alot of wheelspin involved it doesn't seem to work very well. Overall seems to be very moody when it decides to work, and will NEVER work when you really want it to.