Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does a smallblock without casting numbers mean?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Sep 21, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had a SBC sitting around for a while... I always assumed it was a 350.

I decide to scrape the casting number area clean. To my dismay, it says "GM 5.0L G" which I assume means a 305 gas motor.

Is there a way to identify what is inside without tearing it apart? Is there any chance that it has roller lifters? If it were a roller 305 it would cover up some disappointment.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what are the suffix, the ones in front of the pass head?

never seen what you have /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep you got a 305, I had the same thing happen to me a while back. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Pull the intake to look for roller lifters.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

is that the one out of the black longbed?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats the trouble with small blocks--they all look the same--kinda like a vagina!--I had a friend that works at a boneyard ask me if I knew anyone with a 400 SBC for sale--I told him he had one lying on the ground near a 72 GMC pickup--he said "no way,thats the 307 POS out of that truck"--I told him he'd better go take a better look at the flywheel and damper!he looked and he was /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif!.He ran that motor hard for 2 years,even after sitting on the ground all year in the rain it still survived!.
    I have never seen a block without the BIG casting numbers near the bellhousing,but the other numbers near the altenator are often milled off when they deck the block during a rebuild,if its a factory short block it might have all zeros,or the suffix CE on it(stands for complete engine)
    as for the roller lifters,I asked all the chevy guru's I know,they all said what Tim said--pull the intake,its the only sure way to tell(I didnt because they didnt start the roller lifters till 87,I have an 86)--its like the 4 bolt mains,there are lots of things that might point to it being a 4 bolt(certain casting ##,oil plugs near timing cover,etc)the only sure way is to pull the pan.
    Dont be too dissapointed you got a 305 instead of a 350--another guy bought a "350" and had me install it in his truck--he thought it was awful doggy for a 350,so I looked up the engine code--turns out the impala he bought the motor out of had a swap before it hit the boneyard--it turned out to be a 267!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

check out the site Mortec.com. They have a lot of info on casting numbers......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    what are the suffix, the ones in front of the pass head?

never seen what you have /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

JFC

I can't read the small numbers underneath it.

8. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep you got a 305, I had the same thing happen to me a while back. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Pull the intake to look for roller lifters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I knew I got a 305. I'm just trying to recover from the swift kick to the crotch. If I'd known it was another f'n 305 I'd have yanked the transmission and taken the whole f'n truck to the junkyard instead of burning up $100 in acetylene/oxygen cutting it up. Not to mention the last 10 months of it sitting in my yard wearing out its welcome with the neighbors.

I don't really want to pull the intake, but I guess I'll have to. It's odd. Looks original but yet it has that "GM 5.0LG" on it plus has perimeter bolt valvecovers.

9. CyberSniper

10. CyberSniper

Well, from my limited experience, vaginas aren't all similar. Some are as beautiful as a mechanically-injected Corvette 283 and others are as disasterous as a 1985 California smog truck 305. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

This 305's casting number looks kind of like this one.

The problem is that I have no shortage of 305s. I could use another 350.

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

did you look on the whole bellhousing boss??? Like over on the right hand side instead of the left, on 86 up motors ive seen them there, and the 5.0GL where your showing it. By the sound of your engine, its an 86-88, a mutt if you will. One piece seal with perimeter walve cover heads, ill bet the heads have the later intake pattern with the 72* intake manifold bolts too does it??

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats the trouble with small blocks--they all look the same--kinda like a vagina

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Can't let this go /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

They may look similar but they are not all the same, vagina that is /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats the trouble with small blocks--they all look the same--kinda like a vagina

[/ QUOTE ]

Some are just bored out bigger than others. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, they did start putting those types of numbers on the bellhousing lip around 86 and started to mainly go by the number on the lip below the head. You said you cant read them, are they machined off or just gunked up? Most places will ask you for the 3 digit letter code that I think is before the number string. Even if you call Summit with that letter code, they can tell you what vehciles the block was used it. I've had a few blocks like that and checked the codes.

I didn't think truck roller engines started until early 90's?

15. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Small blocks except for the truck engines were roller from 87-up. This includes, corvettes, cop cars, caprices, camaros, anything that wasnt a truck, and had a small block.

16. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    did you look on the whole bellhousing boss??? Like over on the right hand side instead of the left, on 86 up motors ive seen them there, and the 5.0GL where your showing it. By the sound of your engine, its an 86-88, a mutt if you will. One piece seal with perimeter walve cover heads, ill bet the heads have the later intake pattern with the 72* intake manifold bolts too does it??

[/ QUOTE ]

You were right, it had the casting numbers on the bellhousing over on the passenger side.

14088551 1986-87 305 flat tappet, one piece rear main

17. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

time to build a coffee table

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

My thoughts exactly.

19. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll decide to port this piss out of the heads, run a solid flat tappet 274 cam, ARP it, hypeutectic flat tops, and stick a 100 shot on 'er. Swap 'er into a S10 and see if I can kill myself. 400 horses out of a 305 would be a blast. Who needs powerboost brakes anyway?

But it'll probably collect rust in the corner. I don't even think this motor is worth buying an engine stand for. It aught to do a fine job of keeping the concrete floor from floating away.

f'n 305s.

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But it'll probably collect rust in the corner. I don't even think this motor is worth buying an engine stand for. It aught to do a fine job of keeping the concrete floor from floating away.

f'n 305s.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Sorry....