Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does a toqure converter going bad sound like?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by louied, Feb 3, 2005.

1. louied

louied Registered Member

my truck is well maintained, and started to whine while driving.
    when i take my foot off the gas the noise kinda goes away??? :xmas:

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, a rear end can whine a lot. Of course if you have a NP203, the front end could do it too, and you would be hearing it from the front. I wouldn't narrow it down to the torque converter yet, could be anything in your drivetrain.

3. louied

louied Registered Member

this noise came out of no where, its more of a noise now then when i first started hearing it.

driving down the hwy it starts around 30 mph, and gets louder as i go faster.

but when i let off the gas the noise kinda stops?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would vote for a rear end. I say your pinion bearings blew apart and the pinion is being pulled into the ring gear teeth producing the whining noise. My 14BFF had bad pinion bearings and had systoms EXACTLY like you described above... the whining would get louder the faster I went and would quiet down when off the gas because the pinion would then push it self back out of the teeth, producing less noise. It was about a hundred bones to have the local rear end shop pop in new bearings and a seal. The old bearings came out in pieces.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *believe* converter noise is typically when in park/neutral, not when there is a load on it.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

silent but deadly....

Some torque coverters can fail and make no noise,like when the stator goes bad--I have seen them blue from overheating,but they made no strange noises,it was more evident by the way the vehicle drove,felt like it was stuck in a higher gear..I have also heard some that sounded like something hitting a fan blade...I agree it sounds more like a rear axle noise,maybe put it on a jack or lift,and use a stethascope to listen to the suspected parts for noises....:crazy:

Power steering pumps and an automatic tranny with a plugged up filter can whine like a siren too,but they will do it all the time while its running,not just while the truck is moving...:crazy:

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

dito

also they can be noisy when real low on fluid after just swapin in a tranny:blush:

8. louied

louied Registered Member

Thanks

thanks for all the info ill check it out,

Louis