Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what does everyone like for knives?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Feb 27, 2005.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Need a new knife. Folding style with a ~3" locking blade. Needs to be easy to get open with gloves on and frozen fingers. Just want it for backpacking and what not. Wondering what brands and models are good? I'm not really into this sort of thing. Thanks.;)

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had a Gerber folder that was pretty good, wouldn't hold a razor edge. I have a Buck 119T I carry around (5" straight blade), and that keeps me in slicing power. I'm pretty much sold on Cold Steel, though I've never had one. They sent me 5 hours of DVD footage, I'm a sucker for knive footage.

http://www.coldsteel.com/trailguides.html

Plan on investing $40 or so

If you're really just backpacking with it, get a damn fixed blade, I can't tell you how much more useful it is. I mean, you need to stab something, you're gold, and it's a razor if you keep it up.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

depends on exactly what you're using it for, but i find a combo serrated/non-serrated helpful for a lot of situations

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I like a good steak knife:D

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

This is the one I've been carrying for about 3 years now. It's a stout little knife, easy to open with one hand, holds an edge, and is cuts things easily. I dunno what it matters to you, but it's also really resistant to corrosion (I bought it because I used to work on a parasail boat and at a marina). It's great knife for $35 and any Wally World should have it.

6. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

take your pick from anything coldsteel or CRKT makes and you'll be happy with your purchase for the easy to open with gloves on etc. i would suggest the mini M-16 from CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool)

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Same knife I use. Bargain.

8. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I would agree. Also look at Spyderco stuff. I carry a Spyderco Military in right pocket, non-serrated for my working knife, and a Ruko Responder in my left pocket for emergency stuff, serrated tanto-type blade, handle has a window punch and shrouded seatbelt cutter. You cant go wrong with anything from CRKT though...

9. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I've been carrying an OldTimer ( Shrade ) for years, use it everyday in construction...

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Been carrying either a Gerber Multitool and a Buck 110 for years now. The gerber has been retired, i broke the knife blade and even though it is supposedly stainless steel, it has started to rust, and it never even saw saltwater.

The Buck 110 is a hand me down, this was my dads knife for 20 years, and it still holds a great edge. Im sold on Buck's myself, but im looking to pick something up a little smaller for carrying everyday to school and such.

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I think gerber sucks i had one of thire multi tools, and i squoze it hard enough to break the plier head, thats pretty crappy IMHO, i dont think somthing like that should break that eaisley:mad:

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Gerber's multi tools do kinda suck. But for a good folder that's simple and cheap I like the EZ-Out Ats 30 w/half serrated blade. The steel is pretty good and holds and edge real well, real easy to use with one hand and pretty durable.

I agree with the idea that for backpacking a fixed blade is nice, the CRKT knives are pretty good and reasonably priced. I have a great little (4.5" blade about 9" overall) knife with a nice kydex sheath that mounts just about anywhere and in any position, but I can't find it on their site. It was about $40. I have beat the crap out of this thing, hunting, fishing, camping and rattling around in my truck and it has held up well.

13. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Spyderco

I have a Spyderco Endura half serrated half straight. This model is a bit large 3.5" blade, but gets your point accross any way you use it. It holds an edge well and is easy to open and close one handed.

14. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I used to have a CRKT straight knife, it was the one without a handle that you wrapped paracord around as a grip. That was a great knife, but it was difficult to sharpen because of the way the blade was made (it was flat on one side, no bevel). But a friend of mine has a CRKT M-16 and it seems like a really good knife. It's a little large for me to carry, but if you need a bigger blade, that's a good buy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I buy only Benchmades these days. The quality can't be beat and they hold an edge real well. My normal everyday knife is a Mel Pardue designed 720s with the 154 blade.

16. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I got one of these : http://www.1sks.com/store/media/sw-3500s.JPG

last summer. It's a smith and wesson swat special tactical framelock folder made by taylor cutlery. It holds a nice edge, and the blade is held by a steel pin, so it won't bust if you hit something solid with it.

Also, it has ambidextrous thumbscrews, so you can grip it with either hand, and it works with gloves too. I've seen 'em priced anywhere from 40 -60 bucks, so look around.

I can't speak against k - bar, or spyderco, as they make nice stuff too. I found mine cheap, and it fit the bill so I got it.

Tom

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i got one of those (well it loks alomost the same) from big 5 for 14 bucks on sale

18. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Just about any blade from Benchmade, and/or any blade with Pardue behind it is a great knife, but not cheap!

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Same one as I have. Good knife. I like Gerber's and Puma's as well for folders. I don't really like serrated blades, but that's just personal preference. I have an SOG Trident for fixed blade. You could pound that thing through 3/4" plywood if you felt the need to.

John

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I stopped buying cheap stuff when I started to be able to afford good stuff.:D I tend to buy things that will last long enough that I'll be able to hand them down to my kids, whether it's knives, guns, furniture, lawn equipment, whatever. :thumb: These days 99% of everything sold should be called rentals, since you only rent them for a little while before they break and you have to buy another one. I prefer to spend 3 times as much the first time around and know the thing will last.