Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does it mean when somone Boxes their frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84silverK5, Dec 12, 2001.

1. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

is it expensive>? i dont have a welder or welding skills so a approx price would be appreciated, and is it really worth it?>

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

when somebody "boxes" there frame in they are adding the 4th side to the frame your frame is a <font color=red>C</font color=red> they are just adding more strength to the truck frame and if you don't have a welder or welding skills don't bother just don't jump the truck over 8 feet in the air or other things will be braking first anyway. No you don't need it unless you are 100% offroad warrior all the time

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Street rodders do it all the time to strengthen the frame......If you look at a cross section of your frame it forms a rectangular "C". If you were to take a piece of plate steel and weld it to where it closes the open side of the C...it will be a boxed frame.
    It will add a lot of stiffnes to the frame if that's what you're after.....not really needed on Blazers unless you 'wheel a lot.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Street rodders do it all the time to strengthen the frame......If you look at a cross section of your frame it forms a rectangular "C". If you were to take a piece of plate steel and weld it to where it closes the open side of the C...it will be a boxed frame.
    It will add a lot of stiffnes to the frame if that's what you're after.....not really needed on Blazers unless you just want a super stiff frame. Lots of work involved....gotta move any lines that are there etc.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

5. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

WooHoo my guess was correct well one of my guesses heh thx yall