Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does my truck hate me (Part II)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Feb 22, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Well the breaks are still all f'd up but now there arte more problems. I changed the oil and filter (while I was taking a break from the brakes) And now when I run it it blows white smoke. Now it is a little cold outside but not that cold? There is also some water in the tail pipe (I know this is supposed to be normal) and a little condensation on the dipstick. Could this be a blown head gasket? Please say "No shaun this is just normal" (unless that is not the truth, then tell me the truth. Also just put in a new radiator, thermostat, hoses and the fluid we took out didnt look oily, it just looked normal. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

its pretty drizzely out here after work and in the mornings so water is always dripping out of my tailpipe unless I have driven it for a while. It always smokes when I start it up but it goes away after a while.

Nick

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Even white? Maybe its because It hasnt been driven in 8 days and I just changed the oil? That would be good news /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

if its oil i think the smoke will be a blueish color but im not sure

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I think you are right that if it is burning oil it will be blue. I will waut till morning and check some more stuff out. I hope it isnt a blown head gasket. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Doesn't sound like it....Pull the plugs, and look for one that is very clean.

7. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

I've blown a few head gaskets, and I always experienced massive loss of power, and it ideled like it had a huge cam. but if you havent driven it you wouldn't notice the power part

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

It hasnt lost any power but the smoke just scares me a little. Why pull the sparkplugs? What will that tell me?

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

first keep a CLOSE eye on your coolant level...If you don't have anyleaks and you have a blown head gasket, the level will go down...

Does the white "smoke" stop after your truck heats up to operating temps? Do a compression check and also pressure check the cooling system.

A little white smoke is normal in cooler temps when the eninge is below operating temps (its just water vapor that is converting from a gas to a liqud)

Chris

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I think that is all it is but I will check again.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As you probably know, water is a part of the combustion process. You get "smoke" coming out of your tailpipe when the exhaust isn't hot enough to keep the water from condensing. Here, in the great white U.P. a vehicle's exhaust rarely gets hot enough to stop "smoking" in the wintertime. Which is why they rust so fast.

Anyway, go drive it around. If it doesn't go away then I'd worry about it. Watch to see if other people have "smoke" also.

If you run 50/50 coolant and you were burning a significant amount of coolant you'd definitely be able to smell it. If you're a typical crazy southerner that runs straight water or maybe a wee bit of water wetter then you won't be able to smell the burning antifreeze. Cooked antifreeze burns your nose pretty good. If it's burning a significant amount of antifreeze (like if you'd notice if you drove 50 miles) then it'd burn your eyes too.