Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does self-recovery mean for a winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, Im looking at buying a winch here pretty soon, and was wondering what you guys use? I was thinking about a 9.5ti Thermometric or 9.5si M.O.S.F.E.T., or M12000. But I was wondering what does self-recovery mean for a winch, and if any of these have it? Thanks

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

all winches are self recovery. its just a descriptive term. so you can recover your vehicle by yourself, no other truck needed to pull you out. as far as brands go, i think warn is top of the line. and the bigger pull rating you can get, the better.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not all winches are for self recovery. Some are for hoisting. Some are for pulling your vehicle up onto a trailer. Those are other series.

The ones you see advertised in 4wd magazines, and the ones you mentioned, are "Self Recovery" winches. They're not made for commercial use or hoisting, but for pulling your truck out of whatever fiasco you've gotten yourself into. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

oops, your right, i should have said any winch you mount to your truck . thanks for clearing that up

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Personally if it is me I go with the M12000. I have one on my truck and that thing is a BEAST /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

If you need fast line speed for some reason though you might not want it. It will pull anything but it is slow.

Always better to have more winch then you need in my opinion.

Harley

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A winch marked self recovery is more liability than discription. With i being labeld as such if you mount it above your head and lift, or put it on a flatbed and be recker, you can't blame the maker cause that was not what it was for. You just put it on your truck and recover from the investiment.

The 9.5 is nice but a 12000 will always have some pull left for ya (they are frigin huge and a pain to find a mount for even if you know a pretty good fab guy)

7. Hossbaby50

Ya, but if it saves your arse one day you will be glad you figured out exactly how to mount it. Eli sure liked it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

55Willy is building my, "Mount" for mine. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Matt (AZK5) is going to help me build/modify my front bumper to work and look cool with my M12000 up there. He is just pissed because his my 12000 is alot bigger then his 8000 so the mounting plate he would normally use won't work. He has to figure something else out.

Harley