Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does this BB I found in the tranny pan do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sample, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Well, if I haven't had enough problems with the K5 thus far. It stopped moving in any gear. Every gear acted like the transmission was in nuetral. This is the 700R4. I pulled the pan and found a BB in the bottom along with some grime. I cleaned it all up, put in a new filter and gasket and refilled it. It now shifts fine, actually better than before I had my problem. What is the purpose of the BB and how long until my tranny totally dies on me?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is probably a check ball from the tranny valve body. These BB's tell the tranny when to shift.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, if I haven't had enough problems with the K5 thus far. It stopped moving in any gear. Every gear acted like the transmission was in nuetral. This is the 700R4. I pulled the pan and found a BB in the bottom along with some grime. I cleaned it all up, put in a new filter and gasket and refilled it. It now shifts fine, actually better than before I had my problem. What is the purpose of the BB and how long until my tranny totally dies on me?

Thanks,
    Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just worried how it fell to the pan /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It's a check ball and there is no way it can pass from the valve body to the pan without damage.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well I can't see how it got there, I know it's from the valve body. I don't know what I would do about either. Maybe get a shift kit and install it at lest you would know that the BB's are in the right spot. I'm sure one of the tranny gurus will see this and have better imput for you.

Eric

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Its a check ball from the valvebody like others said. If somehow it still shifts, better in your opinion, then just drive it.
    If it gives up you will have to rebuild it.
    If it keeps working you aren't out anything.
    I guess you you could open the pan back up, drop the valvebody and try to find out where it came from? Not sure how you would tell where it came from though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Stop driving it and spend an hour and put in a shift kit. There cheap and you will know you have your balls in the right holes. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
    Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

After some thinking, I don't believe this check ball fell on it's own, either you or the PO has dropped the valve body at one time and it fell, maybe even replaced it and didn't fish out the old one.
    I can't imagine a route where it can end up there otherwise.
    So if it's driving fine keep it untill it craps out, then you will know.