Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does this mean

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1986chevy_rider, Feb 13, 2006.

1. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

What does this mean if when i pulled the valve cover off and the intake and the whole thing is coated in this think hard black sheet? What should I do? And I found this 350 that is bored 60 over and has edelbrock carb and intake and is complete and running from carb to oil pan and has only has 50,000 miles on rebuild for 300 dollars is this a good deal?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

It means someone used a parafin wax based oil (:cough: penzoil) and thats a lot of quality time spent with some laquer thinner to clean it all up.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Though I wouldn't recommend it. If it isn't building up and causing an issue, I would not touch anything like that. Sludge and films are best left alone unless you are overhauling it. If you miss some or drop some into the engine and it gets chewed up who knwos what it can do. I say, change your oil, run it a bit, check it again, if its getting worse, then deal with it, if not, leave it be!

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

yes the 300.00 motor is a good deal. also I would do your self a favor and test the compression, and alsohave a glance at the bottom of the pan and see if you see any signs of issues, and pull the valve covers and check for cracks and trouble signs in the heads,

for your motor, if you have good consistant compression and the motor is still kickin, I would leave it in and purchase the other motor and get it ready and maybe even do upgrades to the top end such as a cam and fresh lifters, maybe even get the heads reworked for more flow,

just what I would do or have done etc, good luck:wink1:

5. 1986chevy_rider

So you think the engine is a good idea? Ok now let me through another curve at you guys. ive got another motor that i spun the bearing in and that is where im gonna salvage the heads from. Well my other thing Im thinking of doing is taking that block and rebuilding it with HI PO stuff and then take the heads of my running motor and getting them reworked and then put them on the fresh motor and be done with it. Thanks

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

im a little different on how I think,

like I said if a motor is a runner and in great condition she can go in, if you take the heads off your running motor you have more down time,

now look at this, is the cost of reworking heads, rebuilding a motor and down time worth the hassle,

keep in mind a bran new gm crate motor is on 1450.00, if your rebuild head work and labor ect eceeds that or get close then you are being both cost and time prohibative,

I would look more at the long term, if you are going to keep the truck then maybe look into every option cost wise, if your current motor will get you by take your time and build one hell of a motor that will make you grin :)

7. 1986chevy_rider

Well I think that this is what i Decided to do i think im gonna buy a performance short block and build my heads to suit. i hope

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you could clean the block real easy. sub 1 qrt of oil for a qrt of atf and change it in 1k miles. do this a few times and she will be cleaned out. the atf has the most oil detergants of all oils. wont hurt anything at all.