Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what does this smoke mean?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I got my blazer about six months ago. It blew out a little white smoke on start up when it sat for a while. No big deal right. All of a sudden it seems to have gotten worse. Now it blows alot of smoke out of the drivers side tail pipe for about 5 min. I am not sure how much comes out of the passenger side, but it does not seem like there is much if any. (I cant see that side while I drive.) Have my valve guides gotten really poor on that side, or could it be Carb related? My carb does all sorts of weird stuff when it is cold anyway. That is getting rebuilt soon. I dont think any oil and coolant are mixing. The oil is clean. I dropped about a 1/2 a quart in 2 weeks or about 1000 miles. Let me know what ya think. Thanks

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Doesn't it go like this?White smoke=coolant or water,blue smoke=rich mixture,black smoke=oil.Correct me if I'm wrong.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. klier

klier Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it's:
    White Smoke=Coolant
    Blue Smoke=Oil
    Black Smoke=Rich Mixture

Brian Klier
    '86 Full-Size Blazer Project "Truck"
    &lt;a href="http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject"&gt;http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject&lt;/a&gt;

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

blue smoke is oil consumption...
    Black is mixture...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're postive the smoke is white than you have, like Bob said above, coolant in the equation. Worn valve seals will cause light blue wispy smoke at start up. Check on the underside of your oil filler cap for what looks like curdled chocolate milk. If this is present, than you have coolant in the oil. I would hazard to guess that the white smoke could be caused by worn head gaskets, but I'm not sure why you would only smoke at start-up????

BTW, carb problems like rich mixtures generally show up as black exhaust that smells strongly of gas. It's pretty obvious when your carb is set to run rich.

On another note, I dealt with finnicky cold winter starting for a couple of years, until I finally got all my vacuum operated gear running properly. Make sure your thermovalve in your air cleaner is hooked up and working properly, which uses exhaust to heat up your carb to avoid freeze-ups, which quadrajets are known for.

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I was thinking (hopeing) that maybee it is the exaust gas temp. (EGT) It just dropped about 20 degrees in the past few days. Maybee that is why I am seeing the exaust smoke so heavily. It looks like any other car on a cold morning. There is just twice as much smoke, and I am the only one around whos vehicle still makes the smoke at 3 in the afternoon. I wonder if this is a possibility? If so, how come it only comes out the driverside exaust? (I have true dual exaust and a 350 with a craped out quadrajet). I dont think it is oil or a rich mixture because the smoke is so white. Keep the help comeing guys. Thanks

sparky

78 K-5

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It probably makes more smoke than other cars because it has more exhaust than other cars. Mine does it too. Also it seems like everything wit hdual exhaust has more exhaust come out of one pipe than the other, or one has non at all.(actually thats just on rice boys who want their car to look like thy have duals[​IMG]). Seriously though, a lot of older Chevys blow out a little smoke on startup, its just some old gaskets.

90K5

8. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

I understand a little smoke, but this is NOT a little smoke. This is alot of smoke! And it is just out of one side. The other side is normal exaust gas.

78 K-5