Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What does white/milky diff gear oil mean??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Apr 9, 2003.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Just replaced my axles but when I drained the diff, the fluid was milky white. What does this mean?? The fluid wasn't that old -- maybe 8 mos. old. I'm thinking that maybe some road salt got in there somehow, maybe through vent tube or something. Anyone seen this?? Should I be concerned?
    smack

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's water. Clean it out. Extend you vent line and check your seals.

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Okay, thanks, but I can't figure out how it got in there. Fairly new seals, good gasket, no leaks. I'll triple check the vent line to see if there's cracks. I didn't go nuts getting all of the white stuff out but I did drain it fully, wipe out the bottom and sprayed it with brake cleaner.
    I'd bet that it got in there from me not being careful with the power-washer at the local u-wash place.
    smack

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Could be. I agree. Water. You'll want to change your gear oil probably at least once more, if not twice, to get it all out. I'd be willing to bet that the new oil you put in there is already milky.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

it means someone thought your axle was real sexy and just had to hit it.......... ;P

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed...water.. most likely through the vent tube or filler plug. Drain the diff, clean it out, seal it back up and refill with new gear oil. use a little rtv on the threads of the filler plug threads and on the vent-tube nipple where it connects to the tube itself and all should be a-ok.

j

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, and I don't off road, seals were good, vent tube with no cracks, I couldn't figure it out until I looked at the nipple on the diff where the tube clamps onto. Mine was completely plugged with old oil and junk, not allowing for the diff to breath, causing moisture, I took a pick and cleaned it out and haven't hd the problem since.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

ARgh, don't wanna drain the thing again, but I guess I should, especially since I'm towing a boat with it on Monday about 2k miles. I'll be sure to check to tube nipple, too.
    Thanks all,
    smack

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ARgh, don't wanna drain the thing again, but I guess I should, especially since I'm towing a boat with it on Monday about 2k miles. I'll be sure to check to tube nipple, too.
    Thanks all,
    smack

[/ QUOTE ]

If your breather nipple is good and not plugged and you just changed the gear oil, if there is some moisture left it will evaporate, don't worry about rechanging the oil later.
    You need to change it once, because too much water will ruin your bearings but after draining it wiping the bottom and spraying it with brake cleaner, you're safe.
    I have had blown head gasket and water got in the oil but then I put some radiator sealant and it fixed it, I ran the engine with the oil cap and the return tube off for a day and all the water evaporated, and it was clean again.

10. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Another thing to keep in mind..... If you are unsure how long it has been like that, you may wanna repack the wheel bearings. Water will kill them! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif