Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what dose ping sound like

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, May 18, 2004.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

just like the post dose i sound like lifter tick or will bad time cause lifter tick my timing is set at 8 deg. before, i run 92 oct. with about 10-10.5 comp. any ideas it just started happening and never did it before? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I can't resist.

It sounds a whole lot like ding.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

A ping sounds exactly like that, a ping. Like the sound a ball peen hammer would make if you smacked the top of a piston with it.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

When I advance the timing in my car too far (11to1comp). it sounds like its squeaking /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You know the sound that a can of paint makes when you shake them up and that little beebee in there bounces around? Well it's like that cept faster as your motor pulls more revs than you arm can manage. That is unless you have a hell of an arm and lots of practice starin at magazines and........................................................ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

WHy is everyone replying to me? I didn't ask the question... Apparantly whatever it is a ping sounds like, it's not the same sound for everyone. What it DOESN'T sound like is a lifter tick. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    just like the post dose i sound like lifter tick or will bad time cause lifter tick my timing is set at 8 deg. before, i run 92 oct. with about 10-10.5 comp. any ideas it just started happening and never did it before? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it sounds just like this

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When does it do it?
    Preignition(pinging) can be heard when the engine is under a load, like when ya stomp the pedal or pullin a hill.
    Kinda sounds like rocks in a coffee can.
    When pullin a hiil if it starts to ping let off the throttle and see if it goes away, step into it and it comes back.
    If it just started check the timing first.
    If it sounds like a ticking then it could be a lifter that needs to be readjusted.
    Or it could be an exhaust gasget leaking.
    Like Shaggy said pinging does not sound like a tick.

9. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

then it looks like i have a lifter tick or some thing becuase i checked for exhaust leak and found none. what would cause lifter tick! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

sounds like a screwdriver bein knocked back and forth in the jaws of a pair of pliers in my truck

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it sounds just like this

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

OK, kind of on topic. What are some easy things to try to get rid of ping before ripping the motor down. My 305 pings something awful. I have a motor I will be swapping in but it will be at least a month before I have the time.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The easiest thing would be to try retarding the timing.

Or you can get into adjusting the mechanical and vacuum advances. There are kits available to do this.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

So is everybody saying here that valve pinging cannot be caused by worn out valve seats and guides?

Because i seem to remember replacing some heads that were just wore out and were in need of new seats,valves,guides and so on.

They were making this pinging sound, the best way i can determine or "hear" it, to me it sounds like a small Diesel engine. The rattles.

Currently my engine does this under hard acceleration, but i am contributing this to the 212k miles on it.

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Cracked heads can also cause this... My truck has been this way for the last 50,000 miles or so, maybe more. I'm going to be swapping in a diesel soon though to replace it.