Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what drill bit do you guys like for metal???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Oct 8, 2006.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i got a set of craftsman wood and mild steel that cuts better than the craftsman metal bits.i was drilling the holes for my floor in the bed and the bits where breaking like they were made outta pretzels.:mad: we used to sell a sweet set of titanium bits at work that were so good you could drill a 1/2 inch hole using only the 1/2 inch bit.now drilling a pilot hole and building up 5 bits and they still busted.POS so what do you cats like?? thanks daryl

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i usually use cobalt bits, they last quite a while. ive broke a few of the smaller ones and wore out the more common sizes (1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2) but the one i bought came in 64ths so i still have a few good ones left.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Titanium, bought a set at Sears, and they're holding up pretty good. Of course some tapping fluid always helps make the going easier.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

A good set of coblat. They are the best bits available... Expensive but well worth it in the long run:wink1:

5. boggerless

i snapped everyone you just mentioned??WHAT UP TJ?????? PM me your # again. cobalt huh?who sells those?

6. boggerless

the ones i got at sears looked like the titanium we used to sell but they couldn't cut the cheese.i'll save e'm for drywall.:haha: :haha:

7. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I buy 135 degree split point for work. They work very good. I've used a 1/2" bit on a 14.4v battery drill on 1/4" steel.

8. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Black and Decker Bullet Bits

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got some Ryobi titanium bits and they work real good. They slice through metal like a hot knife through butter. I drilled out 16 frame rivets with 1 drill bit. 3/8 I think.

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Cobalt hands down, but you are spending some $. Any specialty tool supply will have them. If you want to reduce spending and still get a good cutter, try Blue Mol, I picked some up at Home Depot, very very good bits, I believe the ones I picked up specified metal use, but I could be wrong. As mentioned split point is the way to go as well.

12. 79BRUISER

79BRUISER 1/2 ton status

at work we use HD super premium black and gold, we get ours from Fastenal, but thier expensive, come real close to outcutting cobalt, my cobalt set from mac cost me 225$, and thier only warrantied from 1/4" on up. Dont know if fastenal sells sets, but you might call them.

13. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

check out snapon.com

then buy a set of dbtr129, best bits you'll ever own...

14. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

for steel, I use either bosch titanium nitride or something like that, or I use another brand called blue mol.........amazing bits, drilled straight through 1/4" plate (edit:with a 1/2" bit)about 2 dozen times back to back non-stop, kept giving it a drop of oil here and there and it performed flawlessly.

Remington

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah oil is a very important part of the game. You can also get a paste like product that works very well, and is also useful if you are drilling something that is vertical or above you.

16. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I've always used Tap Magic with no problems.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would stay away from Hitachi (Home Depot) after going through 2 in rapid fashion over the last week.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

on metal??..

The best drills for metal are SHARP ones!..I find the Cobalt and Titanium ones to be great when you first use them,but once they dull,they seem worse than a regular high speed steel bit..I've melted a few of them!..

I find a nice SHARP bit works well,even if its not a bona fide "HSS" or Cobalt,Titanium,or M2,or whatever..I have to re-sharpen my drill bits after 4 or 5 holes,especially if I'm using a hand held electric drill..you can get away with sharpening them less often if using a drill press..

I can't really specify any particular brand of drill--I've used Black and Decker "Bullit" bits,they are OK,but I don't feel they drill any faster or better than regular bits..I bought a bunch of them for a buck apeice at a flea market,and have about exhausted my supply..they do not "wander",or walk around,which is nice,no center punching needed..but once they dull,good luck trying to re-sharpen the double pointed end!..I usually just grind them into a regular looking bit,to get a few more uses out of them..

I have bought "cheap" M2 drills at "Job Lot" stores that held up great,and some expensive ones from Vermont American,Craftsman,and "Bosch" brand,that didn't impress me much..many dulled right away,and actually cut better after my crude attempts to sharpen them freehand on my bench grinder!..I buy mostly cheap bits,or "good used" ones,because I break more than I end up keeping for long..:doah:

19. boggerless

NO KIDDIN?? what i tried first with the "METAL BITS" :rolleyes: all it did was skid around.

20. boggerless

i hear ya on the breakage...i was useing a 1/2 inch electric drill and i was doing good until i realized that the metal was different in hardness depending on what hole i drilled.????i could go right through one hole and the next was like i had the drill in reverse. but the very next hole the same bit worked???HA HA the sweet ones we sold at work my friend left on the dumpster and guess what happened.