Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 30, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I put a 14 bolt under my truck and 6" lift. I don't have any driveshaft vibrations (re welded perches). I get a SLIGHT vibe between 40 and 45 MPH, but goes right away after 45. I don't see any need for a CV shaft. Problem is the stock shaft isn't long enough. Should I get a shaft out of a p/u that has a 208 and get it shortened? I plan to hang onto my stock shaft to use as a spare. I would like something stronger, but is there anyway to do that w/ a 208 slip yoke? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. dnp89GMC

dnp89GMC Registered Member

I have that same setup xcept for the re-welded perches... I have a 6" shackle flip and I get that exact same vib... I'm still wondering what the deal it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pete

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

6" shackle flip??? Is it custom? Yea I am running a 4" shackle flip and 2" worth of blocks. I don't know what the vibe is, but I can live with it it is so slight.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>yes,,just snatch a shaft from a truck and have it shortened, it's pretty easy and cheap to do,,making them longer it the expensive part so make sure you got it right[​IMG]</font color=green>

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Your vibration is most likely due to the shaft being to short and the splines on the inside of your slip yoke may be a little worn out as well. When you get the new shaft made to length do yourself a favor and go ahead and get a new slip yoke. This will also help eliminate that old clunk that worn slip yokes cause when stopping and starting. Sure you can keep packing grease in there. But that usually only lasts for about 500 miles or so. At least it did with mine. But mines all "fixed" now. No slipping. Adn Yes Im going with the CV shaft. As this will raise my T-case back to stock height adn gets the front drivshaft off my collector pipe. And takes the extra stress off my motor mounts.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I hope my splines aren't worn, I just had a new slip yoke from highangle put on my driveshaft before I blew the engine. Anything else the vibe could be? Yes my d shaft is too short though.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

That and your angles might be teetering on the edge of the limits. As In the difference between the rear working angle adn the front working angle. They must be within 2 degrees of one another or you'll get some vibrations. Mine was 3 degrees out and it only vibed at the range you were talking about and then again at 55.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>