Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What else can I get out of the car dealer? hmmmm

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rebelk5frk, Jul 7, 2004.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

So I just bought a 2004 Trailblazer as a DD and I managed to get a couple of years worth of oil changes, some free car washes and a very good price. I thought a had made a pretty good deal. I also put some money down with another $1000 that was supposed to not go to the bank for a couple of weeks.

Well.....someone screwed up and deposited the check they were not supposed to deposit and is now causing all sorts of havoc on my bank account. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif They already agreed to pay for all of the bank fees caused by their little misshap but what other freebies can I ask for to make up for the serious inconvenience they are causing me??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

1 year of free gas would be a start /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. rebelk5frk

That would be nice but I drive all over Houston for work in it so that wouldn't exactly work out....plus my boss pays for 95% of my gas anyway since I live 3 miles from work.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Local Chevy dealership has a deal going on for 150 gallons of gas when you buy a new or used vehicle from them.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I spent two years as a car salesman, and I can tell you right now that this dealership never had any intentions of holding onto your check for two weeks. They are also not going to pay for any charges you incur from the bank in regards to the check they cashed. They are not legally responsible for the charges, so they will not pay them. You will also not get any extra goodies from them because you no longer hold any leverage over them. Once you drove the truck off the lot, the deal was done, and there is no more you can do about it. If you had money coming to you in two weeks then you should have waited two weeks to buy the truck. I hope I am wrong about this situation, and I hate to sound as if I am coming down hard on you, but this is the way auto dealerships operate.

6. rebelk5frk

1) I have it in writing that they were to hold the check until a certain date

2) I now have it in writing stating that they will cover all fees incurred.

3) unsatified customers can be a REAL pain so I'm going to try for at least something extra.

4) I still have a couple of days left on the "no questions asked guarantee" that says I can return the vehicle if I'm not satisfied. There's plenty of other dealerships that will take my money if they don't want to make me happy.

7. 1-ton

It may be scribbled on a piece of paper somewhere, but they are hoping you will give up, and just go away.

When I first started as a car salesman, the dealership management purposely kept me ignorant of the fact that when I told a customer we would hold a check for them that it was a lie. It is what is called "plausible deniability". It makes it easier for a rookie salesman to tell a lie if they think what they are telling the customer is true. For me it was the opposite. I actually became a better salesmen when I knew what I was telling customers was a lie.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I hope everything works out for you. At least you got your dream DD truck.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well......... As long as the salesmans lips are moving. Rest assured they are lieing.

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Go on-line and find out what accessories are available for it. The pick one you want, that you think they will provide you. Nerf Bars, grill inserts, hood scoops, floor mats, you know, what ever floats your boat.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Take out a couple hundred bucks, buy a gun, go have some fun, forget about it, be happy

Also works with big televisions, video games, books, art supplies, swords, dvds and guitars in my experience

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

guns guns guns /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Tell me you will give em bad CSI, its the thing that GM sends out to people after they buy a car. Some dealers will do just about anything to get you to answer 100% on the questionare. So tell them that you will answer dissatisified unless they pony up and take care of you.

13. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

UHMMM, well, where to start........ I just bought a tow rig from a dealership, and my check is being held, as for your dealership /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.I have never heard of a dealer doing that to a customer and I have bought two rigs in the last two years, both writing post-dated checks with no problem. Actually if your dealer was depositing checks that were post-dated to be held, I would have the dealer for depositing it, and the banks ass for accepting a post-dated check. The last two vehicles I have bought the dealer has held the check for 30 days, two different dealerships.

As for the you drive it off the lot you have no leverage, that is a heaping load of crap /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif.I bought a '98 CC Chevy dually about 3 weeks ago, I drove it for the weekend and realized that one of the back inside tires had a slice in the sidewall. I went back in asked them what they were going to do about it, 2 days later it was sitting in service, I walked out with 4 new back tires. If the dealer you were working for was pulling shady deals like this, I am surprised the corporation has not come down on the as well as the better business bureau.

I have worked for a dealer, so I guess I know the in’s & out's they try to pull. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Okiemuddog

I would go for accessories as well, pick out something you want and tell them to throw it in for the trouble /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not to be the dissident, but why would you write a check without the money to cover it in the bank?

I've never bought a new car, so with two of you guys saying this, it seems like this is something to do with the dealer?? I write checks without cash to cover them on rare occasions, and ONLY to family. If I don't have it in there, I don't make the purchase or the purchase waits til it's in there.

So is this something to do with the dealer?

16. Okiemuddog

My deal was the first vehicle is my credit would not hold the amount financed, so I wrote a post dated check for $2750 to cover the down payment. I knew I could come up with the money in that time, I just did not have access to that amount right then.

The second deal was my trade in did not cover any of my down, so I had to come up with it out of pocket, but again I did not have the money in my account to cover it, so I wrote a check for them to hold for two paydays (30 days)so I could get the money ($1200) together to cover it.

Most dealers will do this, because very few people have the $1000+ in their account when they walk in the door.

I hope that explains it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 1-ton

The problem with post-dated checks is that if you do not have a prior arrangement with your bank to write a post-dated check, and hold it until the due date, then the dealership can go and attempt to cash it. The bank, in many cases, will honor the check promptly because banks consider checks an "on demand instrument." Dealerships count on the customers' ignorance and misconception of post-dated checks, in order to convince you to buy the vehicle now.

The tire you are talking about on your truck is a warranty issue, and not an attempt to renegotiate a purchase contract.

One thing people need to know about negotiating vehicle purchases from a dealership is that you can put your signature to a thousand pieces of paper, but you have still not bought the vehicle until you actually take the keys and drive it off the lot. Most states do not have a cooling off period, so do not always assume you can bring the vehicle back without a hell of a lot of hassle.

Another thing I preach about purchasing a new vehicle is that an automobile is the second largest purchase you will ever make, so do not treat the purchase like you where going into buy a gallon of milk from the grocery store. Make sure you go into a dealership with a lot of time to negotiate the deal. People do not negotiate to buy a house in two hours, so why would you do the same thing with a new automobile?

18. Okiemuddog

[ QUOTE ]
    The tire you are talking about on your truck is a warranty issue, and not an attempt to renegotiate a purchase contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

UMMM, the last time I checked a '98 truck does not have a warranty in '04 /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif I do not purchase cars like I would purchase a gallon of milk, I did a large amount of research on what I wanted and what it was worth. I am not going to argue the point here, I have only dealt with large dealers, maybe the little "we finance anyone" dealers can pull that crap, but a large dealer, I don't see it happening.

19. 1-ton

Are you sure you did not have at least a 90 day warranty? I bet if you had come in three months after the fact, as opposed to three days, you would not have gotten a new tire.

20. rebelk5frk

[ QUOTE ]
    Take out a couple hundred bucks, buy a gun, go have some fun, forget about it, be happy

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't do that when my balance is going more negative every day thanks to that jerkoff.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Luckily, my boss is willing to give me an advance and pay me some extra money that he owes me so I will at least get it back to a positive balance by the end of today. I'm just glad I had a little money stashed in another account or I'd be totally broke