Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What else do I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattyblazer, Nov 15, 2002.

1. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I use my truck in the sand mostly (beach) I need it to go on the highway.
    I got a 350, tbi, with a k and n filter
    I have an msd blaster coil, with msd 8.5 mm wires, and rapid fire plugs
    new 700r4 tranny with a heavy converter and pump
    added a leaf to the back and re-arcked the front
    graphite energy suspention
    jet stage 2 chip
    4 core radiator, with a large push electric fan + new clutch fan
    Dual optima batterys, on a boat switch, 100 amp alternator
    edelbrock tes headers, gibson high flow 3" exhaust system
    3 sets of the big ugly PIAA lights, 1 set of hella lights, and KC daylighter reverse lights.
    Kenwood indash cd, with rockford fosgate punch 800 amp, boston acoustic 3 way crossover speakers, 16" JVC subs and 6X9's
    Rancho shocks, and steering stabilizer
    Quick air 3 onboard compressor
    M/T aluminum wheels, with 32" BFG A/T rubber
    SEC contoured winch bumper, goodmark cowl hood
    B&M tranny cooler.

This truck would be a daily driver, but I got a company car,

Any suggestions, I just want to get the most out of her.

Thanks
    Matt

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Every seal needs to be looked at and if even remotely looking bad needs to be replaced. The boots on the tie rod ends and balljoints need to be in perfect condition.

I'd get an Outerwears pre-filter to go on the K&N.

The next big thing is cooling which you seem to have addressed. I'd get a transmission temperature gauge to watch your transmission.

Anyway, two things destroy a vehicle that sees a lot of sand which I'm sure you already know. One is heat and the other is sand. Sand wears things out and ruins them at break-neck speeds. A balljoint with a cracked boot can get sloppy in a single day out on the sand. Heat is the next thing. You spend a lot of time in the higher-rpm ranges and your transmission is always working hard. Even the stoutest of cooling systems can wind up not keeping up after a set of 10 or so hillclimbs.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well if it was my truck i would say a lift and bigger tires and 1 ton gear and your good ot go!

4. mattyblazer

I dont want to change the center of gravity, the truck handles OK and I like to drive fast on the highway.

Matt

5. mattyblazer

I think all the boots are OK, but since you mentioned it I will check it out.

Thanks,
    Matt
    BTW - will a pre-filter slow up the air flow?

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, if you squirt grease into them and it doesn't come out anywhere but around the boot then you're alright. Just make sure you wipe all the grease off. All my balljoints and tie rod/drag link ends all have cut, ripped, or poked boots.

An Outerwears prefilter won't restrict airflow. One of those K&N or anybody else's foam ones will. Outerwears ones are kind of like a nylon only they repel water. I use Outerwears on my quad when I go to the dunes. I take it off, shake it, and put it back on. It makes it so I change my filter every 4 hours instead of every 2.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

33x12.50s ATs with 12lbs of air in them and ten bolts is ideal for sand use. If you want to do jumping then you're going to need some beefy axles. I've seen many front ten bolts and Dana 44s bite the dust with broken axle tubes.

Big tires are useless in the sand. Ideally you want wide and short (33"). MTs don't do well in the sand either unless you've got enough ponies to be spinning them all the time. Anybody who's been playing in the sand with big tires and a lot of lift will understand.

8. mattyblazer

I've been in the sand for a few years now, but most of the guys I meet up with have new jap sh!t, I am running 32 X 11.5 bfg's
    Chevy didnt recomend going any bigger, I think that I might get M/T baha tires on it though. No definately no jumping at the beach, slow and steady, its $200 per hr for service from the moment you make the call.
    Thanks again
    Matt

How obout something to stiffen up the steering?, I have the rancho dual setup.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, you want wide tires. 33x12.50s are about perfect because they're tall enough where if you start digging a hole you won't be on your axles before you start displacing enough stand for forward movement. They're wide enough where you can run 15lbs in them and still float. You probably need 12lbs or so to do the same on those 11.50s.

I wouldn't believe anything a shop tells you and certainly not a dealer. Mickey Thompson Bajas are nice sand tires. My Dad has them on his sandrail. The only thing better in the sand is paddles.

What are they doing for $200/hour that you can't?

As far as stiffer steering, find some stiffer dampeners. I, myself, think that a single one is more than sufficient for properly balanced tires 35" in diameter or less. I run 33 MTs and I have the stock steering stablizer from 1984..

10. mattyblazer

$200 an hour is to tow out the junk that broke on the beach.
    Thanks
    Matt

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Ouch. For that, I'd invest in a trailer.