Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What else for a 14B FF besides a Detroit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 25, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Are there any alternatives to the Detroit locker for the 14 B FF? Locker, limited slip, or otherwise?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just the factory Gov Lok or Lincoln Locker (welding the spiders to make a spool). Rumor has it there's a spool coming available as well as an ARB but I've been reading that for 4 years................ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There has been a spool available for almost a year now, I think Drivetrain Direct sells it. Kinda pricey though. </font color>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

PowerTrax was supposed to be coming out with a No-Slip locker that would fit also. They were even planning one that would fit in place of a Gov-Loc. But for the money, I'd stick with the tried and true Detroit Locker. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hmmm, I just checked out their home page at www.powertrax.com . They've been purchased by Richmond Gear. Perhaps the quality will improve a bit! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They list a locker for the open 14-bolt FF, but not for the Gov-Loc version. I guess they didn't get that figured out after all. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You can check their GM truck applications for the No-Slip at http://www.powertrax.com/chevytruckns.pdf . They also list a Lock-Right for the open 14-bolt FF. That applications list is at http://www.powertrax.com/chevytrucklr.pdf . You'll need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Check with PolyPerformance . They are in SLO. Dave told me that Cone Ind. was coming out with a mini for the 14 soon. If not, he could probably get you a full Cone 46 Spline spool and axles /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif from Sandy Cone.

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

These prices are from summitracing.com:
    No slip for open 14bolt, part #92-0705-3000 $459.95
    Lockrite for open 14bolt, part# 1955 $279.95
    plus $7.95 S&amp;H

Detroit locker (Soft Locker?) for open 14bolt, part #225S-10, $323.95 from Randy's ring &amp; pinion including shipping.

I don't know why, but I felt more comfortable buying the Detroit, so I just ordered mine from Randys last tuesday.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm with ya! I've already got the Detroit in the 14-bolt of my K5. I'll be slapping one in the 14-bolt that's going into the Subrban as funds allow (unless someone comes up with a selectable locker before then). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, a 14FF spool is readily available on the shelves for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No, they are not too pricey. I saw an ad for them in the magazine for somewhere around $167 for the spool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'm glad this came up again. I'm still undicided what to use in the 90. I really don't want Donna daily driving with a Detroit. I might just go with the no slip.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

arent those functionally the same thing?