Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What else to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5newbe, Feb 4, 2007.

1. k5newbe

k5newbe Registered Member

May 15, 2006
    OK, It's time to get serious about my 1978 K5 project. I bought a decent K5 rolling chasis and a 1991 2wd donor vehicle. This is going to be mostly a drive to work truck with some oil field 4 wheeling. Definately not a big budget, but want to do it right the first time. Where to go for parts? I have used GMC Pauls for my older pickups.

What I have done so far: Removed body from K5 and stripped out interior. Looks like it will need rockers and not much more. Have it setting on blocks in the shop. Stripped out motor and trans/Case. Here is where I need some suggestions. I plan to use the 91 TBI 350 with the stock TH350 and Tcase. Is there a better trans/case suggestion?

I have stripped the front end off the suburban along with the doors. This burb is loaded, power everything. I plan to use the wiring harness, steering column, A/C... The 91 front end will go on the K5.

Any suggestions on suspension since it is down this far? The previous owner welded up the front sway bar, so I have to replace it. Stock or beefier? How big is to big?

Stock wheels ok? What size tires are best? Any suggestions?

And the project begins.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

May 23, 2005
    Sounds like you have the makings of a fun project. Depending on how much hwy your K5 will see should dictate some of the drivetrain choices you make. If your going to be running all over north and west TX to different drilling sites I would say find an O/D tranny but if your not concerned about gas milage too much stick with the TH-350 trans. I would say go with an NP-241 T-case behind it for the 2.72 low range. (Lets you get away with running a more street friendly axle ratio.) It all really depends onwhat you want out of your truck.