Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What else will I need?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by longbedder, Mar 14, 2007.

1. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a carbed 4WD '86 Burb with a small block. The trans is a TH400, with a NP208 'case.

I've also got a complete stock '94 TBI 454 - has the accessories/brackets/pullies, complete wiring harness, and computer.

I want the latter to be installed in the former. What all am I gonna need to do the job? The harness has many more connectors than there are things to connect to. I assume some of them went to the transmission of the donor, as well as other things like maybe a coolant level sensor in the radiator, etc.

I already plan on replacing the 2-row radiator with a 4-row, and putting a bung in the exhaust for the O2 sensor.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You need to get a wiring manual, first and foremost, for the '94. Online, etc.

IIRC the 4L60E was later than '94, so no worries about the trans.

VSS signal, that shouldn't be too bad either. Probably still pin A10 on the ECM (check first!) that gets the VSS input, your '86 may already have the VSS behind the speedo, if not, you'll just need to add it.

What else am I missing...you'll need to redo the fuel lines and what not of course.

3. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm pretty sure I can get the correct VSS from either Painless or JTR.

I forgot to mention that I've already got a TBI fuel tank/pump - you're right, though, I will have to plumb for high pressure line and a return line.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't pay their prices for a $5 wrecking yard part you might already have. As a matter of fact, last I knew, JTR was only selling a 40 tooth external reluctor setup which I thought was bad, especially for a truck. All their other stuff used to be car related, and not 40 pulse.

Guaranteed, you will be ripping your dash apart anyways to wire it up decently, might as well save yourself some money.

To be honest, I'd probably just say screw it, find a '90-91 for parts, get the 241, speedo cluster, and DRAC wiring, and be done with it. You'll be a wiring expert by that time, and you'll have an excuse to get rid of the cable drive speedo setup. No more funky speed readings, no whining cables, easy gear ratio/tire diameter/speedometer corrections, better t-case, and so on. :)

Learn from others mistakes...I started out with cable drive speedo/VSS, went through the hassle of wiring it up, making it work, then realized how much better the electric speedo setup is all around, and had to go back through and rewire everything again.