Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What enclosure is best?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 89GMCSuburban, Apr 10, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My options are 12" sub in a tube, dual 12" subs in a bandpass, or dual 15" subs in an angled enclosure. I listen to metal music, so I'd like something that brings out the bass drum. What would you recommend? All these are those cheap Pyramid enclosures. I see it that if I blow the speakers, I'll replace them with quality ones later, I just want something to make my stereo louder. BTW, I have a 500 watt amp to handle the task.
    Also, I'm thinking of jetting the 3.5" dash speakers and cutting a hole in the door and mounting a 6.5" component speaker setup with the tweeters going where the 3.5"ers went before. Does this sound like a good idea??

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

The best advice I can give is to spend the money once on "good" equipment and not have to replace it later. I know that is hard when you are on a budget, but if you are going to spend the money on a set of components then you should have funding for a decent set of subs. The only thing about your plans on replacing the subs is that the pyramid enclosures or cheaply made and I would not suggest putting a good sub in them. For metal and bass drums you need to stick with a smaller speaker and definetly on the 15" That leaves the 12" left and I would suggest you go with 10" or 12" in a sealed enclosure for what you are listening to.

Shoot me an email if you want me to get more techinically on sub frequency response range or anything else. I have been competing in car audio for almost 10 years now.

DB DRAG 1-2 extreme class 171.3 DB with 1 15" Crossfire XT and 4 Crossfire BMF1000d amps ;-)

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Use a sealed box. I would recomened you don't waste your hard erned money on pyramid. I think you'd be alot happier waiting till ya can afford the good equipment. I bought cheap crap once, I'll never do that again.

4. Go 10" subs in sealded boxes. I listen to mostly rock/metal and I have 2 10" Kicker Comp VR's in sealed boxes and they pound with Slayer and Pantera. Just my input...Later 80K20

5. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status