Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What ends to put on Rockstomper?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatK30guy, Mar 2, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Are rod ends stronger or better than the factory tie-rod ends? If so, what kind would work better for a tie rod? I see some listed in Jegs catalog, and they show in fine print, *NOTE: Features Permanently Bonded, Teflon-Lined Race. Are these better for a tie rod rather than the regular rod ends? Is the teflon able to hold up to the abusive use and handling of offroading?

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I was told that rod ends are only as strong as the bolts holding the and to use tie rod ends they are stronger except when building a fabbed project where huge aircraft ends can be used

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I really don't know the load rating on a factory style tie rod end so they're hard to compare side by side. They're pretty tough though. Generally, heims are easier to mount, due to not having to machine tapers, and can fit in some spaces where tie rod ends can't. You can also mount them in double shear.
    That said, my advice is to use tie rod ends where possible in the steering since most of the time you use single shear connections. Look to heims for space restricted applications, or places you can mount in double shear. Tie rod ends seem to last better since they're sealed and servicable. And they keep it looking a little more tame for inspections and stuff.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Like Stephen said, it's the difference between single and double shear. If you can support the bolt on a heim joint on both sides, you are placing all of the force as a 100% stright-on shear force. It's like holding a pencil on each end and pushing in the middle to break it. It's easy to hold with 2 hands, but try breaking that pencil when you're only holding onto one end of it and pushing on the middle to break it. It's real hard!

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>