Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What engine and tranny in a 1971 C10...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 26, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay...I am 19 years old and a gear head /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif When my mom graduated from High School in 1971, my grandparents bought her a 1971 C10 short box truck as a grad. present...It has a 4 speed (it think?) and a 305 V-8...it a fun truck...well it has been my grandfathers "farm truck" for the past 20 years or so...Well the time has come and I have acquired it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I plan on resurecting this thing over the next, oh 10 years or so...I wanna turn this thing into a street truck that will smoke imports on command /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I am in the process of putting stuff on paper that I will be doing to it...I was thinking a frame off resto, a GM 12-Bolt in the rear with 3.73 or so...Redo the front suspension, do air bags in the rear...Get som ebig 'ol 375/50/15 tires...Now I am stuck on an engine tranny combo...I am pretty sure that i would like to stick with a manual...I was thinking a RamJet 502 with a Richmond 6-speed? What are your ideas on this combo? ny other opinions? I want an over drive gear but I don't want to feed that much power through a 700r4...Don't feel like dealing wiht a 4l80-E either...
    I know this is a $$$$ project but when I am like 35 I wanna be able to have fun in a sweet truck that was once my mothers...

You wanna know something crazy, my mom and I learned to drive on th esame truck, a 1967 Chevy pickup with 3-on-the-tree /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The truck had 320,000 miles on it the first time I drove it...

Chris

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think I told you about the guy I new with the 72 Chevy longbed with the 502 in it. He slapped on a another set of ported aluminum heads and and MSD igniton. He estimated that he was putting out around 600HP. He ran it on the strip, and broke the 12 second barrier in a pickup. I thought that was pretty good. He was running a th400 in his truck. His truck didn't look like anything special though which was kinda cool because it just looked like an old work truck with a loud exhaust system. That was until he smoked most anything on the street.